crush on boss...?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

crush on boss...?

Postby spacegirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 pm

anyone ever had a crush on their boss?

i'm in my 20's and my boss is in his 50's, he's quite good looking for an older man and he's very charismatic and funny and we get on well, and i've recently developed a bit of a crush on him which i'm mortified about!

nothing would ever happen, first off he's twice my age, married with kids, and he's not just my boss, but the boss of the whole European division of my company so pretty important, and every now and again i catch myself flirting with him when we're chatting!!! i REALLY don't mean to, and i don't think he's flirting with me, i just really hope no-one else has noticed, especially not him! Thing is i really surprise myself when i do catch myself flirting, because if i tried to flirt with a guy in a bar i'd end up spilling a drink on his lap or insulting him somehow.

now i'm even afraid to talk to him and get quite nervous around him if i ever have to go ask him something which is also bad because my job was temporary til september with a view to be extended, and if i keep getting on like this he'll think i'm useless!

what to do... help!!!
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: crush on boss...?

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 am

You just got to make a conscious effort not to flirt and do your job
Pretend he is someone else when you go and talk to him, this might help
As you say if he notices your flirting it would be awfully embarrassing
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 am

I don't think there's any harm in having a little crush on your boss as long as it stays that way and doesn't develop any further! You do need to be careful with regards to the flirting though - you don't want to be seen as unprofessional/trying to get on by flirting with the boss!

Your nervousness around him is hopefully interpreted as nervousness around someone who is high up in the company, not because you fancy him. Most people feel a bit nervous speaking to senior management so I wouldn't worry about that too much!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mattmxl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Had a bit of a thing for quite a senior work colleague once at my old job, and I was only there as a tempoary worker. I found the best way of dealing with it was to think of something else completely when I was talking to her, and at least try to appear professional and unmoved by her prescence. Worked quite well really as nothing was ever discovered. As a previous poseter said, it takes a concious effort to put that to the back of your mind when you are dealing with somebody you have a crush on, but it is very achievable.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby spacegirl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:41 pm

hey i've taken your advice and pretended that it's not him i'm speaking to when i go into his office, or think of something completely different entirely, i go into robot mode now when i talk to him which seems to help in this situation, but now i'm paranoid that people know what i'm up to! I can't win :roll: !
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Work & Colleagues