Career - Stuck... Please help

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Career - Stuck... Please help

Postby Caramia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:41 am

Hi all,

I've recently come to a head with the career path I have chosen. When I was 17 years old theatre was perfect. I pursued my career, got what I wanted, studied it for two years and have a diploma in it... and now... I've been trying to work as a techie on a casual basis - I prefer it this way as I can get to travel more and know more places. However, my partner and I have just moved away from my family as he has a full time job now. I've been casualing at his work, and it was going well. Then one of the Heads of Department and I had a run in. It was clearly a clash of personalities, and also low self confidence in himself as a manager (from the way he handled the situation, ie beating me down and telling me I was no good, he gave that impression). Since he beat me down, I've been feeling like I've been holding onto this job with my nails clinging on. Now I understand this is also the joy of casual work, but I've never felt this way before about a casual job. I feel like I'm being judged on how I work, that asking questions is becoming frustrating and that I'm not allowed to feel pants for a day. It also feels like they're hiring people with a lot less experience, who are obnoxious and annoying... so why not me?! I just don't get it. Obviously they get on with them, not me, so maybe it's me that's the problem?

So next comes my dilemma. Having done only a few casual jobs and there just not being enough full time jobs where we've moved up to in my field of work, I can't help but think that I want to give it a rest for a while. I'm only 22 but I have nothing else! I can't afford to study again (not only does it cost too much, but there's bills and rent to pay) and no one likes to see a CV full of one field of work when I'm trying to get a totally different job! I've got bar experience, so I'm going on that at the moment. But I look and feel like a total failure. I thought I found my raison d'etre... my reason to wake up in the morning, my passion, my calling etc etc. I just don't know what to do. I'm so tired of fighting for a job, but I can't do anything else. I've done receptionist work, but it was so basic that no employer seems to want to know. Bar work also seems so hard to find. I don't wanna do that for the rest of my life either.

What shall I do?

Oh yeh, I thought about police work, but there's nothing available up here, it's all back in London, where I left! Even then I can't imagine my interview going too well when they ask me why I want to be a police officer... Cause I failed at theatre!

Thanks for reading,
C
xxx
Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Career - Stuck... Please help

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:18 am

It is a bad time to be looking for work now - the thing now is you have to take what you can and not what you want until this whole recession thing clears up.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 am

Firstly Caramia, don't worry too much! You talk as if you're having a mid-life crisis, and you're only 22. A lot of people don't decide what they want to do or properly get their careers going until their thirties, and a lot of people never find out what their 'calling' is, but it doesn't make you a failure. Work is just one aspect of your life, and although everyone would love to live to work, most work to live.

I sympathise with you because I have done a design degree, and despite all my hard work i'm now realising, (especially with the dreaded credit crunch!) its going to be near impossible to get a job. I look around at all my friends who have done academic degrees and are now teachers or working in the NHS and I feel like a failure in comparison.
Unfortunately when you pursue any kind of creative career, you compromise on salary and job stability!

But, its not all doom and gloom. You are only 22, you've got time on your side! I think you have to have a serious think (as I am doing at the moment too) and decide what you would be happiest doing. Do you want the stability of job in another career path? Or do you want to follow your dream but put up with the highs and lows?
The problem is with our generation is we were told we could go into education and do anything we wanted. And in many ways we were conned because its not as easy as that. So we leave college and university feeling like a failure when its not true at all. So my point is, don't feel like a failure because your dream hasn't gone to plan because there are many people in the same boat.

People do get their dream jobs but it takes a hell of a lot of trying, so don't get too disheartened yet. Another option is, one of my friends works as a manager and a freelance designer in her spare time. She does the work in management so that she has the stability to do the freelancing, but she enjoys both of her jobs and is happy.
So just because you have to go out and get another job doesn't mean you have failed in theatre. You could always pursue your love of theatre in your spare time.

Be positive, and when you go to interviews try to be positive too! Be positive about your work experience. You disregard your receptionist experience by saying it was 'basic', instead you could say that you are very adaptable and learn quickly, aside from your other experience you worked as a receptionist for X months and really enjoyed the new challenge. Its all about how you sell yourself!

Please don't feel like a failure, you followed your dream and not many people ever have the courage to do it. If you hadn't given it a go you would have only regretted it. Time is on your side, keep going, you can still do it.
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:I sympathise with you because I have done a design degree, and despite all my hard work i'm now realising, (especially with the dreaded credit crunch!) its going to be near impossible to get a job. I look around at all my friends who have done academic degrees and are now teachers or working in the NHS and I feel like a failure in comparison.
Unfortunately when you pursue any kind of creative career, you compromise on salary and job stability!

I agree with this; I did two academic degrees and I fell on my feet in this job; but most people I know did English or artsy/design degrees and they are all working in low paid/unskilled jobs. Two firls who did my first degree both work in shops or hotels; but everyone else has went on to decent jobs.

When I went to uni it was - do I do something creative or do something I'll be guaranteed a job in? I chose the job option!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:27 pm

thanks crumpetsandtea,
your post was very comforting and very motivating!
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues