Agh, crush? What to do? :S

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Agh, crush? What to do? :S

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Ok, well I started at my new job in January, and I've got on really well with everyone, including my boss, so when it was my birthday last week, I invited everyone out with me, and my boss came. I expected him to just stay out for one or 2 drinks but he actually ended up staying till the end of the night, buying drinks for everyone, which was fine, because as I said, I get on well with him. Anyway, another friend was out that night, who I dont see very often, and I was talking to that friend today and we had a conversation about my birthday and he was talking about my boss (the two of them had been sat talking for AGES) and my friend said my boss hadn't shut up about me all night, and then he was talking about this girl he "really likes" who is "a lot younger than him and has a boyfriend" (I'm 20, he's 34), and he said it sounded pretty much 100% like he was talking about me.

I didnt really think that much of it, but I did mention it to the girl I work with and she was like "well yeah, he really likes you", and I was like "what? Why do you think that?" and she said "well he told me! I thought you knew, EVERYONE knows, it's really obvious".

He's not tried anything on with me or anything, and I dont think he would, but the whole thought of it just makes me really uncomfortable, and now I'm worried that maybe I've given him the wrong impression or something?

any advice? or do you think I should just pretend I never heard anything and try to forget it?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Agh, crush? What to do? :S

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Just don't act on it - crushes are perfectly normal; so long as your boss doesn't act on it either then it should be ok.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby mattmxl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Definately keep an eye on the situation. Possibly clarify things with your boss and get things crystal clear between the two of you. It sounds pretty much like he has the crush on you and it isn't reciprocated so it might just be worth having a quiet word with him in private about the rumours that are doing the rounds and seeking clarity.

If he's open about it to you, then just tell him you're involved with someone (as I assume you are as he mentioned "shes younger and has a boyfriend") and that nothing like that could happen between the pair of you. Things like that can get a bit messy in the workplace and if they can be avoided it's always better to avoid them.

If you have just been your normal self when you are at work, then you probably haven't done anything to give him the wrong impresion. He probably just likes you and your personality the way it naturally is, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I could be completely wrong but thats how it appears to me anyway.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh it's certainly not reciprocated, he's a nice guy and all but I have absolutely no romantic feeling for him whatsoever, and he is well aware that I have a boyfriend (and that we're moving in together/talking about buying a house).

I think he knows that nothing can/will happen, so hopefully he's not thinking too much into it, so I'll just have to make sure I dont do anything that might give him the wrong idea.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:59 pm

I think you're best ignoring this information and carrying on as normal! You'll be more aware of the things you say/how you act now anyway no doubt, so I'm sure you won't be giving him the wrong impression.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby mattmxl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Being concious of the issure is the best thing though, because now you can arm yourself. When you talk to him you can make sure you are nothing but professional and don't give him any ideas that you might want something more from him.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues