Work really sucks

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Work really sucks

Postby earthchild » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi All,

im feeling so rubbish.
following my other post on here - unhappy at work my boss, not long after that the whole company went through a re-structuring. This was a horrible time which resulted in quite a few redundancies being made, one of which was a friend which whom i dearly miss working with, she was such a laugh and made work fun.
instead of being office based we are now sector based which means the team i was working in got split up, i now no longer work under my old boss which i was relieved off and really thought that now our team was- alot smaller and now spread across the Uk that this would be such a brilliant opportunity to move up and take more responsibility and learn new things. My new line manager is based in manchester, she came down a few weeks back to talk to us individually about what we do now at work and what we would like to do. She was totally honest and said that she didnt know how she was going to dish the work out within our team.
Now its been a few weeks since the new structure has kicked in, and ive got my job description- its the same job description that i started out on 4 years ago when i joined the company, in them four years i have moved up, learned other things, taken it upon myself to study and gain qualifications in what im doing at work and now im back at square 1. im so unhappy and feel like all my effort and hard work was for nothing. im not the only one, it seems like a few of us are in the same boat, however this doesnt make me feel better. Theres people here that are quite happy to do the same thing and not even attempt to move up the ladder - one of them has been here for 17 years and she is doing exactly what she started out doing?!
not only this, they have bought out a structure which apparently shows a clear career path, which is completely bottle-necked. the is one line manager for about 10 staff, her role would be the next step up as they have removed all the in-between roles and she has been here 11 years, is still quite young (thirties) and definately dont look like she is planning on leaving any time soon at all.
with these career paths comes a new grading system, it seems like we will all be graded acording to our job roles, which could even involve taking a pay cut. i know that i will be re-graded, just waiting for our line manager to inform us.
Im so unmotivated and unhappy.

should i stay miserable in this job because of the recession and just be grateful?
of should i look for another job, get a better position but take a risk of redundancy?
thank you for reading this
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Work really sucks

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:46 am

There is no harm in at least looking what jobs are available...
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 am

I know it isn't what you want to here but this is going on all over the place
You can either look elsewhere or stay put for now until job prospects improve and then move in
Please try to concentrate on the fact you still have a job and also the new managers plans may not work out which could then present others opportunities. Make yourself stand out with good work, time keeping, suggestions for improvement etc so if changes come you are looked at before others
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby morris mouse » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Make yourself stand out with good work, time keeping, suggestions for improvement etc so if changes come you are looked at before others

I agree
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby earthchild » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:39 pm

hiya all,

thanks for your replies,

dipsydoodlenoodle- i have been looking, must admit seen more than a few that i would like to apply for, just that the recession frightens me as i have quiet a few credit cards :oops:

Bel Bel- this is good advice, however i can literally say that i have never been late, always work overtime when needed, written procedures for the company and have passed quiet a few of my ideas onto the managers who have then even outrolled some of them. I know this might seem a little weird and off topic but i even take so many phone messages for people whom i dont really work with that i feel like a human voicemail. Not only that im always choosen to train up all the newbies that come along.
i really dont think theres anything else i can do to get noticed!

your right though, alot of my colleagues and a few managers have also said that the new plans probably going to work out as well as they think, so maybe something will come up.

i realise this post comes across as ungrateful during this financial climate but i really do feel like i have given my all and now im just disheartened.

have you ever worked really hard at something you really wanted and its not gone anywhere?
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:26 pm

earthchild wrote:have you ever worked really hard at something you really wanted and its not gone anywhere?

Oh yes, I've been in my job for 3 years; when I first started I was given the department (i.e. me) after a year I was given a graduate to play with (two on our department); he went to a different department and I got another graduate; and he's been here 16 or so months. I'm technically in charge of the department however the other guy gets more opportunities than me; it's ok for him to sit in a hoodie in meetings with clients and not get told he should wear smart things.

Other people in the company get a lot of opportunities (specifically one). I don't want all the opportunities (yes I'd love them) but it's nice to see other younger members get the opportunities. Also this year at work they changed the appraisal format so we wrote them before hand...I said I'd be interested in learning more about X; my boss said "oh thats the first time you've mentioned that" - it isn't I've mentioned it at every appriaisal I've had and he just hasn't written it down.

I'd like a new job too one where I actually have to THINK; however my company (we think) are pretty secure in what we do, and I do get paid well for the amount of thinking I do and for playing on pp.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I'd like a new job too one where I actually have to THINK; however my company (we think) are pretty secure in what we do, and I do get paid well for the amount of thinking I do and for playing on pp.

:) thanks for making me smile, i know what you mean about having a job that makes you brain dead but pays you well.

it would be nice if my company gave opportunities to the younger up and coming staff however it seems that in my company you have to be over weight, male and qualified through experience to get anywhere. Then it falls on that old catch 22- how can you gain experience when companies wont give you the experience in the first place?
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am

I know what you mean the opportunities in our company go to one girl (she's the future daughter in-law of one of the directors or ex managing director) - I couldn't imagine how she gets them all.

Our company is full of 60 year old men and between 25-30 year old people - there are a few in the middle. We've all got degrees and I personally sit away in the corner and rot my brain all day. My job once you've done it once or twice rarely requires any brain power.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues