Timesheets

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Timesheets

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:56 am

Hi,

This isn't a huge problem, but I'm starting to get anxious about it, so I'd appreciate some advice!

I have flexi time where I work - basically there are 'core hours' between 9:30-12 and 2-3.30pm where you HAVE to be in work. The rest of it is flexible, though we're contracted to work 37 hours a week. It's there to accomodate workloads etc. and you're not supposed to go above or below 11 hours in any 'accounting' period (e.g. a 4 week period). I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, we're supposed to fill in timesheets for everyday we're in work to account for our hours and print them out at the end of the accounting period and have them signed by our manager. Then they go to our admin whom keep a record.

I have worked in the same company for over 2 years now, but I've been in a different team since September. Prior to Sept I used to dutifully hand in my timesheets and if I accidently forgot one, our admin would point it out. In this team I haven't ONCE handed in a timesheet, nor been asked for one. I have even stopped completing them. I know if I did I'd be WAY under my hours as I constantly leave work early/come in late etc. as despite asking for work to do, I have nothing on :(

I know it's my fault for not handing in the timesheets as I should, but no one has mentioned it to me, but it's starting to make me worry that at some point someone is going to have a go at me :( I can't argue that I didn't realise we were supposed to hand them in as I've worked here a long time. What do you think I should do?! As we've just started a new financial year, we've got a whole new spreadsheet to fill in, should I start handing them in from now on?! I don't know whether that'll prompt horrible questions as to where the rest of them are though....
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Timesheets

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 am

Yes start afresh now and don't worry about the past unless your asked
Just say you thought that as you hadn't ben asked you no longer needed to do them and when the new sheet came out you thought it was a new system
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Jo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 am

If I were you I'd start filling them in now but also have a back-up plan for if they ask you for the old ones. Could you start completing the new ones now but keep them back until you've completed the old ones retrospectively?

I know you said that you haven't actually done enough hours but it's probably not as bad as you think and you can always overestimate a little as long as you're not too outrageous. You can remind yourself what you were doing months ago by looking at your emails etc. or dates of meetings (not sure what type of work you do but there will be something you can use to jog your memory).

The worst thing you could do is to carry on the way you are because the problem will just get bigger, and bigger, and bigger, then at some point somebody will want you to hand them in - it might not be now, might not be tomorrow, but imagine if it happened months from now and you hadn't been doing them!

Bite the bullet and start doing them properly now!
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:47 pm

I'd do as Bel Bel suggested, then if anyone mentions the past ones say you were never asked so thought they didn't need them anymore but since you have a new sheet you thought they'd re-introduced the system?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 pm

hey Ragdoll,

i work in accounts and deal with timesheets all the time,
i hate them so much!!
i would do as the others suggest and definately start doing them from now on, obviously i dont know how your company works but i doubt they will come and ask you for timesheets for the previous financial year as by now they would've wrapped everything up for last year.
But to put your mind at rest i think Jo's suggestion is brilliant, make a note of all the basic hours you have done and exaggerate a little- its been sometime i doubt anyone will remember if you had worked that extra hour or so here.
If thats too much for your conscience (sp?) then start making up the time!
but at least if you make this draft 'back up timesheets' you can get rid of some of that anxiety your carrying around :wink:
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 pm

I know I should just hand in my most recent timesheets, but I still haven't :( I'm scared of it raising more awkward questions. Ahhh!

I wish I'd just handed them in as I should have done :( :( :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 am

I accept that to some extent, but equally my manager hasn't asked me where they are (he is supposed to sign them off and pass them on), so he's partly to blame for not pulling me up on it/reminding me etc.

I will start handing them in
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby earthchild » Wed May 06, 2009 11:07 am

can you not leave them on your bosses desk somewhere and make out they've been there all along ?! !!!! :^o
bit cheeky mind :-"
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 am

with all due respect you don't work here, there are other issues going on that you're not aware of. I know that it's my fault for not handing the timesheets in, but it's my managers responsibility to sign them off and pass them on, any decent manager would have asked. He's not a good manager in any shape and form, that's part of the problem
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed May 06, 2009 11:55 am

I don't think your manager hasn't reminded you will go down to well
Just take them now and say you realised you hadn't been in to get them signed
Don't mention the really old ones
I am sure he won't remember how long ago he last signed one
And stick to the story you thought they were no longer required until the new system. Unfirtunately had already got into habit of not having them signed and forgot, will try harder in future etc
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Wed May 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Oh, I know that, I'm not suggesting I actually go up to my manager and blame him in any shape or form lol, I'm just saying he's incompetant himself for not asking (and for other reasons I have mentioned in other posts). He couldn't actually care less about work - he spends the majority of his time sciving and I spend the majority of mine asking for things to do!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby m_m » Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 am

RagDoll wrote:I'm just saying he's incompetant himself for not asking

I agree with RagDoll, it is his responsibility too (if he is doing his job properly). He is an office manager, therefore he should 'manage' and see to it that everything runs smoothly.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Just wanted to say that I have finally grown a pair and handed a timesheet in! (lol) I hope this doesn't lead to some awkward questions, but at least I am doing the right thing now...
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Well done :)
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Just a quick update - handing a timesheet in did prompt more questions about where the others were (from admin, not our manager - I don't think he cares about anything!!). I just said I had been filling them in until a point (true) but had totally forgotten to hand them in until the new timesheet was sent around which jogged my memory. They still wanted the old ones, but I've handed them all in today and had them signed off by my manager etc. so it's all ok now. I feel so relieved!!! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. It made me realise I just had to hand them in and accept the consequences. I will go back to being a good girl and hand them all in from now on!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues