Teaching

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Teaching

Postby inc » Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 pm

I'm a trainee primary teacher (PGCE) and I'm on my final placement in school. If I don't pass it- that will be that and I won't be qualified! Problem is, I don't think I will because I just can't control the kids! They're OK in the mornings but by afternoon, all hell lets loose. And I've impemented reward systems and sanctions but nothing works. They just won't listen which makes them impossible to teach! I've asked the other teachers for advice and try to do the things they suggest. It just doesn't work for me!

Any ideas?
inc
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Teaching

Postby Bel Bel » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 am

If you have implimented the other teachers ideas and operated reward schemes etc and nothing works maybe it's time to realise this isn't for you
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 am

What kind of reward schemes?

Also what age ar Primary school are you teaching? 4-5 year olds of 11-12 year olds?

Obvioulsy there are in betweens as well but there is a big difference betwen a 4 year old and an 11 year old.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri May 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Coincidentally one of my very close friends is in the same position as you, he's now having his final critical assessment.

There are several things going on here which conspire against you:

1. You're not yet a 'real' teacher, and the children know that.
2. You're no doubt trying to be nice to them (rewards etc), and kids take advantage of that.
3. You're not sure about what to do, and the kids will sense that immediately.
4. Are you female? If you are i'm afraid you're more at risk of being taken advantage of at face value. Kids are less sure of men until they know them.

I'm not suggesting you need to rule with an iron fist, but you musn't be afraid to march in there and show the kids who's boss. Raise your voice if necessary, my old teachers did it regularly and it never did us any harm - quite the opposite in fact. The teachers whom you knew would shout never had rowdy classes.

You're not there to be their friends, you're there to teach them, so make sure you put that first. Rewards schemes are all well and good but they don't replace a basic level of control that you must establish in any way available - raising your voice to the point that you are clearly in charge, or threaten them with a visit to the head master.

Before you go into school, think about your strategy for controlling the unruly ones. If you're standing there at the front of the classroom with no idea what to do about it, the kids will sieze that opportunity and run away with you. Be sure of your action plan before you go anywhere near them and be ready to implement it without hesitation. Mrs nice lady can come later, establish the control first.

I think these points I make are equally applicable to men and women, but sadly women are more likely to struggle with control unless they work at it.

I'm not a teacher, but I am a father, which amounts to the same thing.

Please don't just disappear. Let us know how it goes for you, and if you don't pass first time, so what? Do your placement again next year if you can, or redo the year. Use the experience this year to build your skill. You'll end up a better teacher.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Ironically I was looking at a "funny stories" site this morning, it's all from teachers about the kids they teach...this one amused me...

A few blocks away from our school, on our way to a pumpkin farm last Fall, one of my first graders was looking out the window of the bus,
while she was excitedly pointing and naming all the places she recognized; - "that's where my grandma works," pointing to a supermarket warehouse.
"My mom works at the bank", and that her auntie also worked somewhere. All of the sudden she stops, turns, and says to me, "How about you Mrs.
Alvarez? Where do you work?" I thought that was a classic.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues