ARGH!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

ARGH!

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 am

Right,

As you may know I've been told that I "may or may not be being made redundant".

I know my boss doesnt want to get rid of me, but there are some HR problems as I'm the newest.

I (finally) recieved my contract today, and I have a few issues with it, namely that they've stated my contracted hours as "at least 40", rather than 40, and from 8-6, instead of 8-5. I dont think they'll expect me to work this, but I'm reluctant to sign something saying I'll do that, as I wouldnt be happy to, I think 8-5 is already a long day.

Also, my probationary Salary is 14,000, due to go to 16,000 when my probation is up, however in my contract they've just put "salary 14,000 p.a".

See if I thought my job was secure, I'd fight this and say "no no no", but I'm so worried I'm not going to be kept that I dont really know what I should do???

Help! :(

I'm gonna start job hunting regardless, as I dont like how this company is ran, however I dont want to be out of a job, I dont want to leave unless I have somewhere else to go.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: ARGH!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 am

Ask to go through your contract with your manager, explain that you were given verbal agreement on the terms you have stated and that you agreed to take the job based on those verbal statements.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

I can see why you're worried about being too pushy re: your contract, but I don't think you have anything to lose really. They're not going to make you redundant for wanting a few things amended and I wouldn't feel comfortable signing something I didn't agree with. Perhaps you could just mention it to your manager in the most casual way possible? Try and pitch it so that you don't come across as moaning, but that you just want to check a couple of things with him/her.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm not sure that contract wasn't completely deliberate.

Working 40+ hrs a week for £14,000 a year is very poor money. I suspect that in the current scheme of things they're hoping you'll find another job and resign without them having to make you redundant.

At this stage in the game the cards should be on the table. You have the threat of redundancy hanging over you in any case and as you say you're the newest, so I don't see what you have to lose in querying it. You already know that you're the most likely to go, if length in the job is the deciding factor.

Your employer should clearly set out in your contract what your expected working hours are. If you work it, an 8-6 working day works out to a 45hr week (because lunch breaks are not included), so your employer is effectively saying you won't always have to work your full contracted hours. Of course if you're not happy with the contracted hours in the first place that's different.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LadySpam » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi,

I would advise you to approach your manager or HR person and discuss the contract fully if you're not happy. Don't sign it until you've got all the answers you need. Unfortunately with the way things are at the moment, what they said verbally may have been the case back then, but things may have sadly changed in the space of time it's taken them to draw up your contract. How long have you been working there?? But i agree with ILoveChristmas......don't let them back you into a corner. It's really tough out there and unfortunately employers are taking advantage of this, so beware!!

If you're not happy once you've had a chat, i'd say job hunt BUT don't jack it in before you get something else. It's not as easy to get something else at the moment! Take it from me......i was made redundant in March and i'm STILL looking! I've lost count of applications i've made! One job i went for, i was told that there were 200 applicants, i made it to the last 50 for interview stages and that was it!! Horrible!!
LadySpam
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Ok, right. I'm out of my 6 months as of yesterday.

I went to speak to my boss today to ask him when my probationary pay was likely to go up to 16,000 which is what it should be, and he's said "oh, it's not going to, we're not giving pay rises". I tried to argue that this WASNT a pay rise, this was just be coming off my probationary pay to what I was entitled to, but he wasnt having any of it.

I'm not sure what to do, but I am so angry, I nearly quit on the spot. This has been promised to me time and time again.

Any advice/suggestions?

I'm so angry. I'm trying to resist the temptation to just walk out the office right now. and cry.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm

I sympathise that this is a rubbish situation for you personally and can understand why you're angry, but a lot of employers are doing similar things - people are even being asked to take unpaid leave, reduce their current pay and so forth. I think they have the attitude that you should just be thankful you have a job at the moment (which is true).

I think it would be reasonable to ask your boss when you can expect to get the wage you were promised though - and if you're on a stupidly low wage now, I would just look for alternative employment. I don't think there's much else you can do.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

I think it would be reasonable to ask your boss when you can expect to get the wage you were promised though

Well thats what I was doing, and he said not to expect it at all. I wasnt demanding it now, I understand there are financial difficulties, but I am sick to death of how I'm being treated by this company :( I hate it here so much, I just want to cry everyday when I come in to work, and the girls I work with are horrible to me, but there's nothing. I've been applying for jobs again and I've not heard anything :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:30 pm

So even when we're out of the recession, they're not going to up your wage? I suppose perhaps he just said that as we're going to be in the recession for the foreseeable future - there's no predicting when things will improve.

I hate my job too - it's utterly rubbish dragging yourself to something you despise each day, so you've got my sympathies there too, but what else can you do but just get on with it and try and and make the best of it?! I'm sorry I can't really offer any decent advice, I know there's hardly any jobs out there at the mo, but you can't do anything but keep looking.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:32 pm

It just winds me up SO much because I've said to my boss before "are my wages definatly still gonna go up, with the current climate" and I have promised over and over again that they will.

I feel like punching him. I wont though, lol. Dont think that would help the situation!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Did he ever make such promises in writing e.g. via email, or just verbally? Just thinking if you have proof he said that, you could take it further...

I would agree that punching him isn't the way to go, though I can see why it's tempting lol.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm

No, I thought I did have them in emails, but I cant find them anywhere. I wouldnt have put it past him to go in and delete them after he decided they werent gonna put my pay up.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Do you have a written contract?

Does your place have a HR dept, can you talk to someone unofficially?

Sorry your job has got no better Rufio, :( will cross my fingers that you will find another job soon.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

I have a written contract, but if you look at the start of this thread, you will see why it is of no help to me. :(

and no HR department :( It's such a small company. It's literally just the 3 office girls, our boss, 2 directors and the guy who manages the warehouse.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Ahh that is not so good then. Did you query the contract when you received it? Do you know what the other girls are on?

Doesn't sound so good, especially if he has removed his emails from your mailbox. You should start saving them separately in a pst file maybe on a memory stick if you can use them.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues