fresh start too late?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

fresh start too late?

Postby babydee86 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 am

i just don't know what to do with my life!!!
i left school at 16 with GCSE grades that were far lower than any1 expected me to get (i just coudn't be bothered, and was dealing with a sexual attack and so rebeled big time). im now 23 and stuck in a crappy job
i left school and started work in a bank on poor money and decided i was no good at the job (it was sales sales sales!!, i was good at the admin and customer care but not sales which was sooooo important to them) so i left......with nothing to fall bk on.
my parents supported me for like 6months/a year.
a cousin of mine who is a nurse (ward sister) came round for dinner and mum was telling her i had wanted to be a nurse when i was little, and so my cousin discussed it with me and i was ALL up for it!!
so she got me a job as a health care assistant (which is a nurse but i can't legally give out medication etc..) with the intention that i would do my nurses training...i did this for a yr before starting the acsess to nursing course which i SO DUMBLY dropped out of right in the last 2 months because i fell out with my mates on the course (NO ONE KNOWS i didn't compleate the course??!! family..work..) i really don't know what i was thinking
soon after i moved to a hospital closer to home and work in out patients which is 9-5 and i do like it but money is really really bad.
whilst here i have been offered the oppurtunity to train as an orthopaedic practitoner (plaster casting, brace fitting etc..) and although the hospital is paying for my course i am NEVER actually training because i am always needed on clinic as a health care assistant. meaning there is no way in hell im gonna pass the course in feb 2010!! (and im not even really allowed to do the course unless i have worked full time in a plaster room for a yr!!) im sooooo disheartened with it all.
i just want to leave and start a brand new career but can't afford to unless i pay to do evening courses....are these any good?????
i feel trapped!!!
but the worst thing is my bf and friends are under the impression i have this brilliant worthwhile career on the go (and im sure the all think im on ok money ,because the all are)
my family are all proud too although the know im broke
not sure if any1 can help i just really really needed to get that off my chest.
its not where i've been.....its where i'm about to go
babydee86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: fresh start too late?

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm having trouble seeing a big problem because it sounds like you have a relatively good line of work. However what I think you probably need to do is talk to your boss about having free time for actual training as thats fundamentally going to help you to progress on to something even more rewarding. Try to orientate it so that you can have sufficient time for training. Can you cut back your hours or maybe have some leave to do your training?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:39 am

WHATS THE POINT OF THEM PAYING FOR A COURSE YOU NEVER TRAIN FOR
iS THE TRAINING MEANT TO BE ON SITE?
Sorry on caps
I think you should talk to your manager and tell them how frustrated you are about the situation and tell them you want to get on
Are there other on the job training courses you could apply for in the same sort of field
Most people know nurses are not well paid so I wouldn't worry about that
If you decide to move away from this sector you can always blame poor management and sheer frustration with the system
Or you could come clean and then get help/advice from those around you
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I agree with bel bel
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby spacegirl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Tbh, at the minute, a career change isn't a good idea considering people are being paid off left right and centre. and the number of people on the dole in ALL industries, except maybe medical, is rising every day. the world will always need nurses, and it is a good career with excellent development opportunities. Normally i'd say if ur really unhappy then change, but this sounds like frustration more than unhappiness in your job - talk to your boss and discuss how you are going to manage your time. they probably just don't realise you're snowed under, as they themselves have hectic work schedules.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby babydee86 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:28 pm

thank you!!, actually ur right i need to realise im lucky to have a secure job and just communicate with the bosses a bit more!! see i just needed to see it from an outside point of view!! lol thanks xx
its not where i've been.....its where i'm about to go
babydee86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues