Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby captainf » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Wow, sounds like the job interview went really well!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
User avatar
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Gender: Male

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:26 am

I understand your point but that is one example
It sounds like that particular interview went really well for you, when will you find out if you got it?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

User avatar
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate
 
Posts: 6758
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Bel Bel wrote:I understand your point but that is one example
It sounds like that particular interview went really well for you, when will you find out if you got it?


They said sometime this week, but that's for second interview stage...
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:48 am

Worst part is that I'm back at college this week and still haven't managed to get a job :cry:
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Well alot of students get jobs for the holidays and give them up once they go to uni or college as they can't cope with the work load so don't give up yet
Good luck with getting a second interview
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

User avatar
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate
 
Posts: 6758
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Bel Bel wrote:I understand your point but that is one example
It sounds like that particular interview went really well for you, when will you find out if you got it?


I didn't get it. Their only reason was coz of traveling. Which I think is a ridiculous reason. They said that my interview was brilliant, I had really good experience and would be perfect for the job. The interview was in London, I live in Essex...not far from London (It takes at the most 1 hour for me to get to central London). There's alot of people that travel to London from where I live. I see it when I have an early interview and have to join them on the train.
Even the recruitment consultant who I was dealing with said that it was ridiculous. He said that they had turned someone else down because they also live in Essex...they're slightly closer to London than I am...by about 15-20 mins. There's alot of people who commute to London everyday, some travel further than I would. Surely, if you like the job than the traveling is worthwhile? He said that they'll struggle to find someone with experience like mine, who is local and will settle for their given salary. He said I'm one of his best candidates that he has at the moment.

Some employers really are pathetic. :grrr:
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:28 pm

I agree thats stupid but I can only think they are worrieds about strikes or traffic issues. They are very disruptive to companies and are happening more and more. Maybe they have had problems in the past with employees not coming in because of this and also weather issues like snow
Don't be disheartened if they are that odd maybe you escaped working for a compay with lots of other pathetic views too
You did really well and you were the best candidate so take heart from that
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

User avatar
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate
 
Posts: 6758
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:36 pm

I agree wholeheatedly with Bel Bel.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
User avatar
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: England
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby LME79 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 pm

sazzled wrote:
Bel Bel wrote:I understand your point but that is one example
It sounds like that particular interview went really well for you, when will you find out if you got it?


I didn't get it. Their only reason was coz of traveling. Which I think is a ridiculous reason. They said that my interview was brilliant, I had really good experience and would be perfect for the job. The interview was in London, I live in Essex...not far from London (It takes at the most 1 hour for me to get to central London). There's alot of people that travel to London from where I live. I see it when I have an early interview and have to join them on the train.
Even the recruitment consultant who I was dealing with said that it was ridiculous. He said that they had turned someone else down because they also live in Essex...they're slightly closer to London than I am...by about 15-20 mins. There's alot of people who commute to London everyday, some travel further than I would. Surely, if you like the job than the traveling is worthwhile? He said that they'll struggle to find someone with experience like mine, who is local and will settle for their given salary. He said I'm one of his best candidates that he has at the moment.

Some employers really are pathetic. :grrr:


Whereabouts in Essex are you, just out of interest?
I want to be..a tree..
User avatar
LME79
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: The edge of reason
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 pm

LME79 wrote:
sazzled wrote:
Bel Bel wrote:I understand your point but that is one example
It sounds like that particular interview went really well for you, when will you find out if you got it?


I didn't get it. Their only reason was coz of traveling. Which I think is a ridiculous reason. They said that my interview was brilliant, I had really good experience and would be perfect for the job. The interview was in London, I live in Essex...not far from London (It takes at the most 1 hour for me to get to central London). There's alot of people that travel to London from where I live. I see it when I have an early interview and have to join them on the train.
Even the recruitment consultant who I was dealing with said that it was ridiculous. He said that they had turned someone else down because they also live in Essex...they're slightly closer to London than I am...by about 15-20 mins. There's alot of people who commute to London everyday, some travel further than I would. Surely, if you like the job than the traveling is worthwhile? He said that they'll struggle to find someone with experience like mine, who is local and will settle for their given salary. He said I'm one of his best candidates that he has at the moment.

Some employers really are pathetic. :grrr:


Whereabouts in Essex are you, just out of interest?


I'm near Benfleet. Which really isn't too far from London. For example, I had an interview today in Holborn and it took me an hour to get there, and I had to change twice!
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby LME79 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am

It really isn't far at all - that's the fast line to Fenchurch Street, isn't it? Or is it Liverpool Street? That's very harsh on that employer. Unless they specify in the job spec (some do, though in my experience it's rare), that's not a valid reason to turn you down, in my opinion. Oh well - their loss. That's what you have to tell yourself!

Funnily enough, I work quite near Holborn (well, Tottenham Court Road really) and some people at my place commute in from Peterborough! I also know a friend of a friend that commutes to the City from the Lakeside Station ... Chafford Hundred, I think? So yes, it's not like you'd have been on a two and a half hour commute each day. Possibility that they'd been taken advantage of in the past by people being slack and blaming late trains but even so, that's still unfair on you.

Do you manage to get any of the freesheets, like the Metro and LondonLite? They have job sections in them, might be quite useful? Evening Standard is also a good one.
I want to be..a tree..
User avatar
LME79
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: The edge of reason
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am

LME79 wrote:It really isn't far at all - that's the fast line to Fenchurch Street, isn't it? Or is it Liverpool Street? That's very harsh on that employer. Unless they specify in the job spec (some do, though in my experience it's rare), that's not a valid reason to turn you down, in my opinion. Oh well - their loss. That's what you have to tell yourself!

Funnily enough, I work quite near Holborn (well, Tottenham Court Road really) and some people at my place commute in from Peterborough! I also know a friend of a friend that commutes to the City from the Lakeside Station ... Chafford Hundred, I think? So yes, it's not like you'd have been on a two and a half hour commute each day. Possibility that they'd been taken advantage of in the past by people being slack and blaming late trains but even so, that's still unfair on you.

Do you manage to get any of the freesheets, like the Metro and LondonLite? They have job sections in them, might be quite useful? Evening Standard is also a good one.


It's the fast line to Fenchurch street. They did not specify in the job spec about how far away you can live. What I didn't understand was why couldn't they look up on Google maps how far Benfleet is from Central London! You're right, Lakeside is Chafford Hundred.
I haven't managed to get the Metro or LondonLite, If I have another interview this week...I'll try to get one. I'll see if they have websites, I'm sure the Evening standard does! I would ask my boyfriend but he's been off work so far this week and I'm not sure if he's going in at all.
I'm also having employers give funny reactions to me studying for my AAT. They turn their nose up at it and sound really disappointed, which is extremely annoying. Considering you get adverts on job sites for studying towards a qualfication, which employers will approve of and you will be able to earn more money. What they don't tell you is that employers don't like you studying for it when you're working for them, so you can't win either way. I've already started this year so I'm committed to going college Wedsnesday and Thursday evenings.
I'd get less of a headache hitting my head against the wall!!
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Just an update. I didn't get the job in Holborn. I don't even know why...all I got was a one liner email saying...

"Thanks for attending the interview, unfortunately we will not be offering you the position. Good luck in the future."

They didn't even have the decency to phone. Why do I always attract the idiots?! Very frustrating!!!
User avatar
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Essex
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby LME79 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:20 pm

sazzled wrote:Just an update. I didn't get the job in Holborn. I don't even know why...all I got was a one liner email saying...

"Thanks for attending the interview, unfortunately we will not be offering you the position. Good luck in the future."

They didn't even have the decency to phone. Why do I always attract the idiots?! Very frustrating!!!


You can call and ask for feedback. Sounds like you are well qualified so there might be other things that you may not have picked up on yourself. I would advise speculative application but it's probably not the best time to be doing that at the moment :(
I want to be..a tree..
User avatar
LME79
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: The edge of reason
Gender: Female

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:37 am

Definately give them a call and see their reasons.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
User avatar
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger
 
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: England
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Work & Colleagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest