Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Was made redundant and don't know what else to do...

Postby sazzled » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, I've looked in anything I have experience in. Accounts, banking, finance, payroll.
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Skarlet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 pm

maybe look outside of it, just at general office work. not perfect, are you looking at temp contracts too?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sazzled » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah - temp, perm, contract.
I have tried general office but I don't always have the necessary experience and so I don't get a reply...
I'm stuck, really!
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Skarlet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Ack, sounds like I trying to teach you to suck eggs. I think all you can do is perservere, and say how willing you are to learn new skills. its really tough.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sazzled » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 pm

I really don't know what else to do. I have applied to so many recruitment agencies and job sites online. I keep in contact with the recruitment agencies...well I try to, it took me a month before I managed to get anything out of one of them...which was really disappointing as I thought he would be very helpful.
I have applied for so many jobs recently, very few have replied - with a no. Any jobs that I had been put forward for recently have been postponed. I'm still chasing one which was mentioned last week, and they keep telling me that the client hasn't got back to them. and if I don't speak to the person dealing with it...I rarely get a call back. Really, how long does it take to decide whether you want to interview someone or not? I really hate relying on recruitment agencies but I have no choice, they keep forgetting about me...even though I reply straight away...they take ages getting back to me. I'm fed up of being unemployed. I've tried everything I can to get a job. I've even tried applying somewhere out of my field of work, but get told that I haven't got any experience...I could've told them that!
Not only that but I'm also having to phone the jobcentre every day chasing my claim. They didn't tell me that my contribution based jobseeker's allowance was ending soon and that if I still needed to claim, that I would have to fill in another form for income based jobseeker's allowance (I had no idea that there was more than one kind of jobseekers). This was neally 2 weeks ago and they still haven't paid me. I have hardly any money and I keep getting conflicting answers so I have no idea what's going on. I can never get a straight answer from them. Although they didn't notify me in time that my claim would end, they managed to notify my local council which means that my housing benefit has been suspended until the jobcentre get round to actually doing their job and sorting my claim out.
It's upsets me alot. I don't want to live on benefits, I don't want to rely on the jobcentre or recruitment agencies, I don't wanna keep hearing how hard it is to find a job - I know that already, I don't want people to feel sorry for me, I want a job, I want to have a life, I don't want to feel ashamed of myself for being unemployed for so long.

Has anyone got any ideas of anything else I can do?
Please, I really need help!
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Jo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 am

Bel Bel wrote:I think voluteer work would be fantastic.

Going back to what Bel Bel said at the start of the thread - I've only scanned this thread quickly so I'm not 100% sure you haven't already thought about voluntary work or whether you already do some, but if not then it's really worth thinking about. It's a good way to try something new, gain experience, grow your network of contacts and to share the valuable skills that you already have with an organisation that might really need them.

I'm not sure what more advice anyone can give you about actually looking for jobs because you're obviously already an expert on that! The only thing I could suggest is trying to pinpoint where it is that things seem to come unstuck (i.e. is it the application or the interview stage?) and focus on improving that area.

At the moment I think it's more important to do something to lift your spirits and keep your confidence up - voluntary work could be perfect for that.

Here are my obligatory useful links!
Volunteering England - http://www.volunteering.org.uk

Do-it, volunteering made easy - http://www.do-it.org.uk/wanttovolunteer
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby sazzled » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Jo wrote:
Bel Bel wrote:I think voluteer work would be fantastic.

Going back to what Bel Bel said at the start of the thread - I've only scanned this thread quickly so I'm not 100% sure you haven't already thought about voluntary work or whether you already do some, but if not then it's really worth thinking about. It's a good way to try something new, gain experience, grow your network of contacts and to share the valuable skills that you already have with an organisation that might really need them.

I'm not sure what more advice anyone can give you about actually looking for jobs because you're obviously already an expert on that! The only thing I could suggest is trying to pinpoint where it is that things seem to come unstuck (i.e. is it the application or the interview stage?) and focus on improving that area.

At the moment I think it's more important to do something to lift your spirits and keep your confidence up - voluntary work could be perfect for that.

Here are my obligatory useful links!
Volunteering England - http://www.volunteering.org.uk

Do-it, volunteering made easy - http://www.do-it.org.uk/wanttovolunteer

Although volunteering sounds like a good idea, I did say in my first post that it would be difficult for me to do it.

sazzled wrote: I can't afford to do voluntary work, especially if it's I have to travel by bus or train as I'd be using money going to a place where I don't get paid.

I doubt very much the jobcentre would fund that. I'm already chasing them for my income based job seeker's allowance money, in which I had filled in the form nearly 2 weeks ago, and as a result have very, very, very, little money.
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Have you tried the direct.gov website section called back to work, apparently it has loads of useful info

http://backtowork.direct.gov.uk/index.html

Also go for jobs you wouldn't normally check out girl, floor assitant in department store, shop assistant anything that will earn you money and get you in employment even if it isn't what you want and doesn't earn you the best money. Once already in any kind employment you are more likely to get a job.

Maybe the vounteering will be worth it in the sense it will get you contacts etc and look good on your CV. Maybe it would be worth the investment if it got you a job. Can you get reduced fares for being on benefits?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Jo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Bel Bel wrote:Maybe the vounteering will be worth it in the sense it will get you contacts etc and look good on your CV.

This is so true, I've seen lots of volunteers get jobs this way and I've done it myself - i.e. ended up working for the organisation that I volunteered for. It's hard to explain how much difference it can make - it shows that you're willing to get involved and do things.

sazzled wrote:I can't afford to do voluntary work, especially if it's I have to travel by bus or train as I'd be using money going to a place where I don't get paid.

You always get your out of pocket expenses back when you volunteer, e.g. travel expenses and sometimes food if you have to buy lunch. It shouldn't cost you anything but time! You get paid in experience, training (depending where you go), a bigger network of people who know about you, and you feel good because you're doing something worthwhile! You could just do a couple of hours a week somewhere, it doesn't have to be a big commitment.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby brfc » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am

this is the website for my local hospital were i work regarding volunteering http://www.friends-of-the-ruh.co.uk/app ... cedure.asp gives you an idea of volunteering and it,ll give u something to get up for in the morning while ur looking for a paid job
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sazzled » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I've looked everywhere and I still haven't got a job.
I've had 21 interviews and have got nowhere fast, I'm in month 9 of unemployment.
I don't know what else I can do...
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby inc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I still say (as I did in an earlier post) go for shop work. It's easy to get and the shops are picking up now as we edge towards the end of the recession. It's only so you get a bit of money in and to build up your confidence.

That's what's putting the employers off- you've understandably lost confidence and it probably shows.

For my first inteview for a shop job, I was 16 and I told my boss-to-be that I was really shy and I didn't like talking to people I didn't know. And she still took me on! Shop work may not be what you want to do but it is an easier way to get back into employment. It really will help to build your confidence and your insecurities are less likely to show in interviews to come as you'll feel less desperate for work.
inc
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby sazzled » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks for all the advice!

Sorry, I forgot to tell you all that I finally have a job! I found out Christmas Eve and started on Monday.
I knew I'd forgotten someone!

Sorry again!
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 am

Congratulations and thanks for letting us know! Is it the kind of job you'd hoped for?
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 am

Congratulations, I am really pleased for you.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

PreviousNext

Return to Work & Colleagues