Bullied?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Bullied?

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:55 am

Im having such a horrible time at work lately. I'm trying really hard to find a new job, but I just dont have that much time to do it - however I'm off next week, so I will be more focused - I really just wanted to vent a little bit, or else I'll be sat at my desk feeling like I'm about to cry.

Right. In our office there are 4 members of staff. Me, my boss - Richard, and 2 other women - Julie and Heather.

About 3 months ago, they announced that one of the members of staff in the office would be made redundant, but that it definitely wouldn't be Richard as he is manager bla bla, and it was obviously not going to be Heather, because when it comes down to it, she's better at the job than Julie and me.

So it was obviously between me and Julie, I knew MY boss was on my side, but that one of the top bosses was on Julies side.

I tried to work extra hard, make sure all my jobs were perfect, doing extra little bits, working really hard to try to ensure it was me who kept my job. Julie, however took the other tact, and went to the director and said "Ruth's rubbish. She doesnt do any work, she just sits on the internet all day, the only reason she's still here is because Richard likes her bla bla, we dont like her", basically saying I'm a waste of space. I was upset about this, but I thought it was understandable given stressful circumstances. However, then it turned out that Heather had ALSO gone to the director and said much the same thing. So they umm-ed and ahh-ed a bit about what to do, and in the end didnt do anything.

I was really upset about it because I thought I was quite friendly with the 2 women, but I tried to put it behind me and put it down to difficult circumstances, however about 6 weeks later I found out that this wasnt a one off, and they regularly go to the director to complain about me. I still tried to be nice to them but they have just got colder and colder towards me, to the point where they now just outright ignore me.

It's getting more and more horrible, I feel like im a schoolkid getting bullied and I've had enough. I've spoken to my boss about it, but nothing seems to have happened, and I found out yesterday that they've gone to the director again, and told him that IM bullying THEM.

It makes me really sad, I would never bully anyone.

I just dont really know what to do, I'm trying to find another job, but I've not heard anything back, I just feel totally trapped. I have no-one to talk to in the office. I used to sit next to my boss, which was fine because then I could talk to him, but then after the 2 girls complained that "he favours me" I was moved to the corner of the room by myself. It's really horrible :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Bullied?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am

Speak to the director and tell him YOUR side of the story.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:43 am

Sorry to hear you're having such a poo time at work Rufio, I know it can really get you down when it all seems to be going wrong and people are being mean.

I agree with Dipsy - would it be worth having a word with your director? Say you're concerned about the atmosphere etc. and that you just want to get on with your job and be civil with the other women in the office, but they're making the whole atmosphere so tense by running off to him all the time to moan.

Also, how do you know these women are telling the director all this stuff?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 am

iF YOU WANT TO PROTECT YOURSELF YOU NEED TO REPORT IT AS AN OFFICIAL GRIEVANCE. Get a diary write down everything that is bullying in their behaviour. Dates and times. If you don't make it official and they get rid of you the you have no recourse. If they think you may take them to a tribunal they may keep you just on those grounds. oj this isn't the way you would like to keep your job but if they are playing dirty you owe them nothihng not to play the same way. And afterall you believe you are being bullied. Try not to be too picky when putting things in the diary. Try only to put thigs others would see as bullying too.

I, like ragdoll, want to know how you know they are going to the director. Be careful, however is feeding you this info could have their own agenda and may be lying to them as well as you.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:58 am

It's my boss that's told me... I had thought maybe he was lying, but based on their behaviour I dont think so; they dont like him either.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 am

Hmmmm..... I think it's VERY fishy that it's your boss that has told you this information. It is in no way, shape or form his place to tell you that they've been speaking to the director about you. He sounds incredibly unprofessional. Are you sure he doesn't have his own agenda here?! Not sure what exactly, but I'd be very wary of him - not just from the sound of this post, but taking into account some of your other posts about him too.

Does your boss have any reason to try and create a wedge between you and these women? It's nothing to do with him fancying you is it?! I seem to recall that he was being quite flirty at one point. He sounds like a stirrer to me.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:15 am

And him favouring you would certainly give the other girls a reason to be miffed
Going to the director yourself about the bullying may be the only way to get this all resolved
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues