An awkward situation...

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

An awkward situation...

Postby JennaXXX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:16 pm

I am 24 but look 17. Outside of work I have been told I look anything from 16 to 21. In work I would say I look even younger because of the uniform and the fact we have to wear our hair back.
I have been quite embarassed in the past when immediate colleagues (in my department) have assumed that I am 17/18. Someone even said 15 once. :-?
However, it hasn't been a major issue until recently.
There is a lady who works in another department to me but I have quite a lot of contact with her. She is a bit of a toughnut and doesn't like many people. However, her little girl really likes me and so she bonded with me in that way. She has told me in texts that she thinks I am lovely and this is quite amazing to me as she is the last person on earth you would think who would say something like that.
So what's the problem? The problem is that she thinks I am 17. A colleague overheard her saying this to another worker the other day. I am mortified and have no idea what to do next.
The weird thing is that she knows I am qualified in my area of work so already that must put me at 18. She also knows I have been in my workplace a few years now which would take me up to about 20 years of age. I don't understand why she seems so sure that I am 17. It is a massive and wrong assumption and very embarassing to me as I feel like she is going around telling people my fake age.

How should I handle this? I am now paranoid that all the women who are nice at work to me are only nice because they think I am a sweet young girl who is still a teenager. :( :-?
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: An awkward situation...

Postby LME79 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Can you not just tell her your age? I personally don't think it's a major issue - in years to come you'll be very grateful for looking younger than your years, take it from me. If you feel awkward, drop it into conversation casually. I used to look younger than I am and used to say things like "can't you see my wrinkles?" followed by a laugh. If I'm honest, it really isn't worth getting worked up about, though I do understand it can be annoying after a while.

I think you need to work on your self esteem if your initial reaction to this is to become paranoid that you think people are only nice to you because they think you are young. I've worked for several companies and age isn't a factor when it comes to liking people, it comes down to personality and the person's nature - not age.

Good luck.

x
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Re: An awkward situation...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 am

I agree with LME79. Just tell her how old you are. Or use her wrinkles line :). It's quite amusing. Most people will probably reply "you are too young for wrinkles" and just reply back "I'm 24 you know".
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues