Covering Letter - HELP!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Covering Letter - HELP!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 am

Well there is an internal job vacancy at work and I'd like to apply for it; we have to write a covering letter...What do I need to include on a covering letter? does anyone have examples?

My problems are I've never written one before; do I address it Sir/Madam when it's going to one of the girls? Do I make it formal, when they know who I am and what I've done for the last 3.5 years? I'm a bit confused; we have to hand it in next week as well eeek!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Covering Letter - HELP!

Postby Skarlet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 am

If you know who it is going to then use their name or find out the name - it looks better. Explain why you are applying for the job, how your skills match the job description. and also a little about yourself. At least that is what I have always done. Have a look at www.prospects.ac.uk they have a section on coverign letters, which you could use and modify as a template.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 am

I just don't want to make it too formal as it's an internal job...We are only a small company (40 people at most) so we all know everyone.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:44 am

Well it doesn't have to be too formal, I would use the name as it looks less formal, good luck with it :D
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:29 pm

I'll probably post a draft on here for pulling apart :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I agree with Skarlet about addressing it to the person specifically, would look a little strange putting "Dear Sir/Madam" when you know who is going to receive it.

If you want it to be a little less formal you could always write 'kind regards' or something at the end of the letter as opposed to 'yours sincerely'.

I would keep the covering letter quite succinct (you don't want to duplicate everything in your application) but cover the points that Skarlet has raised.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 am

So do I address it just to the first name of the person or do I address it to her full name?

My application is just an updated CV - which we had to all re-do for accreditation purposes at work recently but I want to look through it properly first.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

In the address, put her full name. When starting the letter, I'd put "Dear <first name>," - that'd work in my company.

For the actual covering letter, write a couple of paragraphs but not too long. Look at the job spec and use their key phrases (that's worked for me in the past). I work in a Marketing & Communications dept so when I write letters they're quite 'salesy' e.g. you say your desired candidate must have excellent presentation skills; I regularly give confident pitches to large groups, including senior level etc etc etc ... I don't know what sector or industry you're in, but would that sort of thing help? You don't need to necessarily go for the sales technique - I just have to because that's my profession for you, but a more toned down version may help?
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:11 am

LME79 wrote: don't know what sector or industry you're in

Engineering. (Office based normally).

Thanks for the help with the dear bit...that is probably what I would have done but I am clueless. I didn't even have a proper interview for my current job :(.

I'll have a go at the weekend and draft a covering letter :). My bf helped a bit and he seems to have included all the "right" things. My only problem is it says "chair meetings"...If they like it informal I can do it; formal I cannot. I cannot stand in front of people and talk, I can sit and talk in front of them though. The meetings that department do all seem informal - they go smart but not shirt and tie smart like we do for our meetings.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 am

Chairing meetings does not usually involve standing, Dips. The person chairing doesn't necessarily have to do that much talking either, it's usually just a case of starting off the meeting with introductions (if necessary) and apologies and then just guiding the discussion every now and again. If you're chairing meetings you can always pull an agenda together and have it looked over by someone above you, that way you know you've got a set 'structure' to fall back on and that you're covering the right topics.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 am

you may also be expected to take minutes on what was agreed for the meeting and distribute them after if you are chairing
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Bel Bel wrote:you may also be expected to take minutes on what was agreed for the meeting and distribute them after if you are chairing

We have secretaries and PAs for minutes at my place, if I had to chair and minute I think I'd lose my head! :lol: But yeah, you would be responsible for looking at the minutes (if any) before they are sent out to the attendees, if you don't take them yourself. Depends on your company's structure.

Like RagDoll said, chairing meetings means leading the meeting - kicking off with intros etc. You'd only have to stand if you had to present something to the group. Getting an agenda together is good - if you don't know whether to include something in an agenda, just add an AOB (any other business) at the end which pulls all the miscellaneous bits together. I'm good at presenting and chairing meetings as I have to do a lot of it - if you need any advice on that specifically, let me know :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 pm

At present with our meetings we have 3 people, one person to do the computer (me), one to stand and talk (boss) and one to take minutes (colleague). He
likes taking minutes for some reason and I like him taking them haha. However the other team do their meetings differently :(.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Ah, don't fret about that, lovey - you're obviously an intelligent girl and I have every faith that you'll be able to roll with whatever's thrown at you. If you get a new role, you'll adapt. Sure it might seem scary but I always think it's best to be out of your comfort zone as it'll give your brain a workout and it's progression, which can only be good things :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 am

Would you mind having a look over my covering letter please :)

My ADDRESS

Company Address

7th September 2009

Dear Alison,

I am writing with regards to the role of RBI supervisor posted recently within COMPANY.

I am a highly qualified individual for this role, having an MSc in Pipeline Engineering and over three years working experience within the company. My time spent within the company and my studies has left me with a knowledge of all areas requested within your personal specification document for this role.

Over the three years I have been employed by COMPANY I have shown great commitment and dedication to my work, this is reflected in my attendance and punctuality at work. My position at COMPANY has also shown that I am capable of working together with colleagues by supporting their work within my department as well as giving training where required within the work my team carries out. I have also shown my ability to attend meetings and converse within meetings. I am willing to travel both within the UK and internationally and have been doing so within my post already held at COMANY. I also possess excellent organisation skills, demonstrated over the last three years whilst at COMPANY.

I have been involved within the Pipeline Risk Assessment department for over three years and I feel it is time to move on within COMPANY and to find out about other aspects within the company as it would be an advantage for me to be experienced in various departments. Hopefully upon consideration of my CV, you will be persuaded that I have the potential to fulfil this role as RBI supervisor and to make a large contribution within this firm.

Yours Sincerely

DISPY
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues