Tax

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Tax

Postby JGRD146 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:10 pm

I work weekends, 13.5 hours, which is £64. However i keep getting taxed £13 leaving £51. Anyone have any ideas on what i should do over this?

Also i work a week in hand. On monday i worked bank holiday (Time and a half) so will that mean i get paid next friday?? thanks all
Everything that has a beginning has an end
JGRD146
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Tax

Postby Skarlet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Find out what your tax code is, and query it with Inland Revenue is pretty much your only option.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Skarlet's right! But what tax code has your employer got, and where did they get it from?

As for when you get paid time and a half, honestly, none of us can answer that - my company pays monthly in arrears, but the pay periods are stuck on the wall, so everybody knows what they're paid for. Everybody on PP will have a different answer - you need to ask your company. Don't be nervous! :)
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sazzled » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Sounds like you were put on a BR code which means you don't get any allowances like you would with an L code. For example, the standard tax code is 647L which means that you can earn £6475 a year tax free which is split into x amount per week, month or what fequency you are paid. A BR code taxes all of your earnings without any allowances, at 20%. This is normally used for people with more than 1 job in which this is the 2nd job (as they would've already used their tax free allowance in their first/main employment) or those who receive a pension but wish to work. If this isn't your 2nd job, I'd ask your employer how they managed to work that out! Hope this makes sense!
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:21 am

My daugther was recently get wrongly taxed and just rang the tax office and the money got refunded in her next pay packet
they informed her employer of the correct code to use
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby bellajennie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:01 am

It may be that you might not be able to get it all refunded in your next pay packet, but I would query the tax code you have with the inland revenue. This will prevent you being further taxed on your future wages. You can then send a copy of your 2009/2010 p60 to the inland revenue, and although you won't be able to get it back til april 2010, you will get back all the tax you have paid this tax year, if you continue to earn the same amount you do now.
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jenny22 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 pm

If you earn £64 a week you shouldn't really be getting taxed, that's roughly what I earned with with my part time job at uni and I was never taxed.
Speak to your employer about it and see what they said, and find out the tax office for your company and give them a call and see if you are entitled for a refund.
Jenny22
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues