Dark future

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Dark future

Postby josepht » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:46 am

I got a 2:1 B.Sc mathematics degree from uni in 2008 and I was looking forward to getting a job in the financial sector. I have done a work placement so I know that I am capable of working in that field, both my work placement and uni told me that I would be able to find a job quite quickly.

Unfortunatly that was over 15 months ago, I have applied for over 150 posts, attended just three interviews and never got anywhere near a job. I am currently doing two part time jobs on the minimum wage earning about 120 pounds a week delivering pizza and working in a pub.

I have moved back in with my parents I don't have a social life anymore I just can't afford it and as far as owning a car, going on holiday or getting a place of my own are concerned they are just pipe dreams after I have paid bed and board I have about 50 pounds a week left.

In a way I feel cheated. If I knew six years ago the position that I would be in then I certainly would have not have gone to university. I am certainly in the worst position of all the people I went to school with and the worst thing was I was the brightest in my class and I genuinly tried. When some of the lads in my class went out drinking and smoking weed I made the effort to stay away, do my homework and get good grades. Those same lads are now either in better paid jobs or getting more than me in benefits.

I don't know what the future holds everyone else seems to be moving ahead in life some of my uni friends have good jobs, some have started relationships, some are seeing the world. I'm just stuck here in my parents home, no money, no hope, no future.
josepht
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Dark future

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Unfortuntely we are in an economic crisis so not many palces are hiring.

You could go back to uni and do a PGCE to become a teacher - don't they give grants out to maths and science teachers now?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:08 pm

firstly, I'd just like to say that I do empathise with the position you're in, as I struggled to find a job and I graduated in 2006, when the economy was doing just fine.

As Dipsy said though, we are unfortunately in a period of economic recession, so there must be a lot of people in your position - some less educated/qualified than you, and some even more so!

You just have to keep trying to get a job (as I am sure you are) and try not to give up hope. Eventually something will come along and inevitably the economy will pick up again, increasing your chances.

I can see why you're disillusioned with the fact you went to uni and studied hard only to find you're struggling to get a job - but it's very, very difficult to get a decent job these days which doesn't specify in the job description that you need a degree (without much experience anyhow, it's different for people older than yourself), so I am sure in the long-run you did the right thing.

Don't compare yourself to what the people you went to school with are doing - that's of no use to you as it's a short-sighted way of looking at things. Ok, at this very moment in time, they might be earning more than you, but you'll eventually get a well paid job and no doubt go further than them. As for the people on benefits, well, that can't be a fulfilling way of getting money, whether you deserve them or not. I am sure the people that receive benefits who are genuinely entitled to them, would rather be able to earn their own money and at least feel some sense of satisfaction/fulfillment.

Lastly, you're doing the honourable thing by juggling two part-time jobs, even though they're obviously not what you really want to be doing. You'll be more employable for working as it shows you've got a good work ethic, so keep at it!

Sorry if this post is written in a bit of a rubbish way, I don't have much time to re-read my posts and check the grammar etc. is ok these days!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:18 pm

150 jobs and three interviews. Could it be your cv needs help? Worth checking
Can you look at alternatives jobs that aren't quite what you originally thought of, as some already suggested teaching, lecturing, slightly different jobs to what you finally wnat to get to but are still finacial related like accounts.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues