Change Direction Career wise

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Change Direction Career wise

Postby earthchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 am

Morning All!
I have never really known what i would like to persue as a career, in my working life i just fell into accounting, i have been in this field for 8 years now and have really tried to feel as if this was for me, the past year or two i have been increasingly miserable in my job and it has promted me to once again re-think about what i would really love to do, and i think i have finally found something that i genuinely have an interest in however its very different from the experience and qualifications i have got.
Ive found a Saturday job advertised which i have decided to apply for, it will give me good experience and help me get my foot in this industry's door and help me fund a course in this field however i have reached the dreaded question-
'Why are you applying for this job? please tell us why you have applied for this position and how your skills and experience are relevant to your application'
and im stuck, please can anyone give me advice on how to answer this question when i have no exerience, all i can think of saying is how i would love a change in career and this would be the perfect opportunity to gain experience...
but thats not going to get me very far?!! #-o

also, please can anyone give me advice on how to actually totally change direction in my career? :-k
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Change Direction Career wise

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 am

You could say it is something you have always wanted to do and now you are in a financial situation to do so; also say that you'd love a career change as you said. I'm not very good at wording what I think; Ragdoll, Rufio and Captainf and Bel Bel are normally good at helping with how to word these kind of things.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:40 pm

I would just be honest - "Why are you applying for this job? Because, having started out in another field I have grown and matured and realised that xxxx is what I want to do with my career". Regarding skills, there must be one or two skills you can mention from accounting that would be relevant, even if it's only something like "managing my own time" or "talking to clients".

The fact that you are switching careers is a plus, not a minus - you have the courage to break out and pursue what you want, instead of taking the easy option and staying where you are. To me that would suggest that you have get up and go, and may well want this job more than the other candidates.

EDIT: and if it's a Saturday job, I'm sure most of the experience could be learned on the job quite easily, so they probably won't worry about that. When it comes to Saturday workers, I would think they'd be more interested in having someone keen and reliable - which is you to a tee.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Whats the job you're applying for?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey,
just thought id give an update.. and maybe be cheeky enough to ask for more advice?
first of all thank you snail, your comment quoted below really gave me a lift in myself-
snail wrote:The fact that you are switching careers is a plus, not a minus - you have the courage to break out and pursue what you want, instead of taking the easy option and staying where you are.

I never got the saturday job :cry:
but that hasnt deterred me..
I have been looking for courses to the related field i want to get into and ive found one that sounds really good. Its a full time course 16 hours per week and 1 day a week working (for experience, non paid) in a related job, the open day is in the begining of February and i have already booked this day off work to go.

What is troubling me is money worries, my partner still hasnt found a job yet despite him applying for everything going. I currently work full time and i earn quite a good wage, if i go on this course i will have to apply for a loan to cover the fees, which will be adding to my existing debts and obviously i will have to find part time work.
Im not work shy at all and wouldnt mind working as many shifts as i can, but im seriously concerned about whether we could really cope on part time money.

Also, the work that i want to get into doesnt pay anywhere near the money i already earn. I wondering whether i should stay in a field im miserable in because it pays well or go into a field which potentially could make me very happy and then stress about money worries, if that makes sense?

every one ive spoken to tells me that its important to be happy in your job and money doesnt buy happiness, which i agree with but then i also think that in this future job i want, i will be happy but then i will also stress about money issues.
I know its rare that people can have both happiness and good wages.

Then back to the present, i think to myself that there are loads and loads of people out there doing courses and working part time and they are surviving so why i should it be any different for me?
my partner, current work colleagues and friends all think i should just go for this course if i think it will make me happy,
but when i spoke to my mum about it she said it was a bad idea, because im the only one earning and paying the bills and because of the recession. To be honest, my family are not risk takers and would rather settle for being unhappy but stable. My mum has really scared me and i know that if i do this i definately wont have her support.

I know utimately the decision is mine and its my life, but I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts and if they have been in similar positions and how things turned out for them... do you think its possible to pay rent, CT, energy bills, phone bills, credit card bills, course loan, food and travel and survive ?
or even worse, what if i find it extremely hard to find part time work ?

as right now im so confused and miserable by all of this,

Thank you for reading..
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Perhaps your b/f needs to take a leaf out of your book and get on a course too if he can't find work. He will get funded courses if he is unemployed.
I know this is slightly off topic but if he can be employed it will ease the burden for you
Has he tried volunteering as it looks good on the CV? Has he really tried for EVERY type of job?
Do you live together? i.e Is there a way to pursue your dream by down sizing your living accomodation and sending him home until he is sorted. Managing just yourself and not him too might be much more achievable. I know some people will say that's harsh but sometimes you can't be supporting someone else if it is to your own detriment.
It's not like you can't go back to living together once your both back on your feet
I say go for it but be realistic and think about what you will have to give up and whether the benefits will outweight the rewards
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby earthchild » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 am

Hi BelBel,
thanks for your reply,
yes i agree that things will be alot easier if my bf was employed,
please believe me when i say he has applied for every different type of roles possible-
part time, full time, permenant, contract, temping, cleaning, road sweeping, fast food chains (KFC, MacDondalds etc..) Pub work, retail work, office work, research work , charity work... you name it and hes applied for it. Hes with a load of different recruitment agencies aswell.
He has done courses with the Princes trust and it hasnt seemed to help at all.
And he has had his CV redone to make it look as best as possible.
The other day he had a interview for part time pub work, and there was 55 other people being interviewed for this one position :o
its rediculous.

As for down sizing, well we are with a housing association and are living in a one bedroomed flat. My brother inlaw is in a council studio flat and his rent and council tax bills are exactly the same as ours so i dont think this will benefit us to move into a studio.
as for his parents, they are living in a one bedroomed flat aswell, unfortunately for them its a shoe box and there is no way they have the space for him its just not viable. Plus they will want keeping money which he cant give because hes not elligible for benefits and he cant get a job.

I think if i had to be realistic, I cant do this.
there is nothing we could cut down on, i dont go clothes shopping until my clothes are literaly falling apart, i dont go to the hairdressers, we dont go out for meals or buy electric gadgets or anything like that. All my money literally goes on the list i put in my first post.
If my bf can get a job and if i could clear my debts then its possible. So maybe i will just have to wait until next years course and review the situation again.
How very depressing :( :x :-({|=
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

Why isn't he eligible for benefits? He must be getting JSA at least?

Well, go to the open day anyway - you've booked the day off now, and you never know, you might get some info while there on another course, perhaps one that's just in the evenings. And you can keep looking for another Saturday/evening job in this field. There will be another route to where you want to get to, don't give up yet.

earthchild wrote:first of all thank you snail, your comment quoted below really gave me a lift in myself

*Snail searches for 'smug' smiley*
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby earthchild » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm

snail wrote:Why isn't he eligible for benefits? He must be getting JSA at least?

because he has been off sick with his mental health problems for about 3 years now, so hes not paid enough tax to claim contribution JSA,
hes applied for JSA 5 times in the space of a year, each time the job centre tells him that theres another type of JSA he can claim for cant remember the name but its not contribution based, so he goes through the whole form filling process and meetings with the job centre, and before you know it he gets the same result- not elligible.
He tried to claim incapactiy benefit, got signed off work by his doctors etcc... the job centre told him again he wasnt able to claim, then about 6 months later we recieved a letter from them asking him to go through a medical with them to prove he was entitled to it, but by then his claim had already been cancelled and he had not renewed his doctors note because he was trying to get work.

i have to say the job centre are useless and it came to light in Prime ministers question time that many people who are elligible to claim are being told they cant.
Its just so much effort for such a little amount, my bf says he rather put his energy into looking for work.

i will lcontinue to look for a saturday job in this field and there are quite a few related volunteering postions i will also apply for aswell, and yes i will definately go to the open day and see if therre are other options open to me.
I am so miserable in my current job, its really making me depressed.
i feel guilty because there are so many people looking for work like my bf, and heres me crying at the thought of going to my job. Yes i actually cried when getting ready for work the first day after xmas break. I know this feeling is due to work because as soon as im out of here everyday i do start feeling better.

thanks for you reply.
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm

So it sounds like you have already looked at all your options
Have you thought about what you would do if you take the course and can't make ends meet?
Maybe it would be best to put it off until next year but I would defiantely go to the open evening so you know whats involved and know you have it to look forward to and you can start conuting the days off a calender
As for your b/f tell him to look for jobs and still pursue his benefits, after all every little helps

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby earthchild » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Bel Bel wrote:So it sounds like you have already looked at all your options
Have you thought about what you would do if you take the course and can't make ends meet?

Yep pretty much, i found out through a friend i might be entitled to tax credits, however i have done the online assesment and im not even though i earn less than 30K a year and work more than 30 hours a week and im not on any other benefit.

I dont know what i was expecting to hear, some magical cure from you guys i guess, i was just cluthing at straws.

Bel Bel wrote:Maybe it would be best to put it off until next year

i think its the most realistic thing to do, i just didnt want to acknowledge it,
because i just i dont know how mentally im going to cope being in my current job as i can feel depression seeping its way in.

my bf's suppose to hear today whether he got that part time pub work, and he also has another interview on monday, so there is still a tiny bit of hope left in me. Its funny how i was the optimistic one in our relationship and now the tables have turned and hes trying to keep my hopes up by being optimistic for the both of us.

again thanks for your time to respond.
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I am sure you should be entitled to the tax credits.
I know several families who were getting it upto 50K combined earnings and one or both were working full time :-? Unelss they have drastically changed the rules recently
That may be worth checking into further with CAB on direct.gov
Hpwever if you do the course and earn less you will be entitled then and it will bump up your lower wage

I will keep things crossed you b/f gets a job

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues