Bullying

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Bullying

Postby Millenia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey guys,

I started my nursing course a couple of weeks ago and loving it but recently well about three weeks ago, one of the women who is in her mid 30's started like sniggering at questions i was asking and then i heard she was saying things behind my back like calling me fat etc.

It's starting to bother me as some of the other girls have also started to join her. I have gave them no reason for them to hate me i don't even know these people.

I went to my adviser and she said i was best to just ignore them but i can't. I can hear what they are saying now and it is really putting me off my work, it doesn't make me want to go into university at all.

By law, is my university meant to do anything about it or am i just left to put up with this for the next three years? I would rather quit to be honest.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Bullying

Postby Skarlet » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi Millenia,

Universities are a difficult place, people are meant to be adults....!!!!! Its a shame you are having a difficult time already. I would be tempted to broach her directly about it. Next time you hear them, go over, it would probably shame her, she is only doing it because she is a coward.

Is there anyway you can move from where you are sitting?

Skarlet
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Millenia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:52 pm

we are placed into smaller groups of 15, and she is there and some others but i don't want to move as that would be her winning right?

I am tempted to say something back to her but knowing my luck i'll be the one to get kicked out of the course.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby everloney » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:50 pm

i agree with skarlet, say to her if you have a problem with m then talk to me and dont slag me off behind my back... we are adults now and your older than me.... act your age.... it will def shame her and deserves it for picking on you, your a nice girl and its not fair
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby everloney » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:52 pm

also, shes jealous of you.... people only say mean things to make themselves feel better by hurting the other person.... don't let her fool you :)
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:09 pm

So these girls are on a uni course to become nurses? I just find that hilarious because I sure as hell wouldnt want them treating me in hospital.

Ignore the children who will fall short (no one in the medical world will put up with them) Just focus on your course, carry on and dont worry about ineffectual comments. Dont give up, the medical world needs people who care, not people who will snigger or find the word penis hilarious (as im sure she probably does)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Don't get aggressive when you do, just tell her if she has a problem she should speak directly to you, and not act like a five year old. Don't scream and shout, just confront her. If she sniggers if you ask questions, ask her directly to explain it to you, if she knows all the answers.

She is jealous, and also a coward. It depends on what is best for you Millenia. I wouldn't want you to not move, but then get so disheartened that you quit. we need nurses like you.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:27 am

I agree with what everyone has said; she is just immature.

When I went to uni; I had NO experience in engineering; the whole of my course were people who had been in the industry for years and were doing this course to become a manager; I asked some pretty simple questions and not one person laughed; one person even used to draw me pictures of what the things I was asking about were. The point is the woman in question is an immature kid.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Millenia » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:26 am

It just bothers me so much as it's like what you guys are saying and i don't want to slag her off, but i know my temper and im not saying this in a good way but my worse down fall is that when someone pushes me it's like something in my head saying 'go on you know the words you can say to make her weep'. She is also a very large women so the obvious thing would be to slag her off about her weight, but i was her size once, i know how hurtful it is to be at the end of those comments so i just bite my tongue.

The other day we had to swap around groups so she walked past me and said ' can you move?' and i replied 'with that attitude no i can't'. A colleague then told me after class that i should watch what i say to her as shes been telling everyone that im bullying her! which is making it ten times worse as i can't even stick up for myself then?

It's just so devious what shes doing and i don't even know what to do about it. I've contacted a university councilor about it and im speaking with her on Monday. I just fear i will be made out to be the bad guy.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 pm

start writing all the incidents down so that in a few weeks you can take it further if you need to
and keep biting your tongue so she has nothing to use against you
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Millenia » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Well i saw the councilor and she said that she can be there to talk to me about it, but she can't actually recommend me to do anything.

No idea what to do now :evil:

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:38 pm

As i said start a diary which could prove invaluable if theis escalates either from your or her side

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Millenia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 am

I just found out that the reason why this woman has been bullying is because she thinks im gay. Hilarious eh?

I couldn't believe that when i hear it.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Sounds like a right nasty cow
Not that she should bully you whatever you are into but just to get her off your back you can clearly let her know you are not gay

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues