future career

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

future career

Postby essyiii » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:26 pm

does anybody know if it is necessary to have an a level in a science to do a midwifery degree?
Steph x
essyiii
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: future career

Postby Angel_Fairy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Hey again- just copied from Uni of Huddersfield website :

Applications are welcome from people of all ages.
You must satisfy Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) minimum entry criteria for midwifery courses.
You must also demonstrate evidence of recent study in biological sciences to A level standard. For instance, one of the following:
Three A levels (CCC) including Biology/Human Biology at A2 level preferred.
12-unit vocational A level in Health and Social Care or Science plus one Advanced GCE (A2) in Biology/Human Biology or AVCE single award in Science (6 units), minimum CCC.
An ITT recognised Access Course.
You will also offer GCSEs at grade C or above in English and Mathematics (and a science if not studied at a higher level) or the equivalent.
All offers are subject to interview, satisfactory health and enhanced Criminal Record Bureau checks.

Hope this helps x
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby essyiii » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 pm

thanks, that's really helpful. i'm really wanting to study at the university of york and they don't say you need specific a levels just BCC ( i think its those grades) so i'm a little confused.
Steph x
essyiii
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 am

Why don't you email their department and ask them?

Generally it shows interest; I did this for my second degree and they invited me in for a general chat about things.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby essyiii » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:26 pm

thanks i think i am going to attend an open evening that comes up i've managed to change my option to biology at school though :)
Steph x
essyiii
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am

A lot of the time they ask for grades rather than subjects because it demonstrates your academic ability, irrespective of what subjects you studied.

Although A-levels are tough, they're nothing like university and so while some unis probably do use A-levels as a basis for their courses, a lot of unis won't, preferring to start from nil rather than assuming a grounding that not all students will have attained to the same level.

Best contact the university you want to go to (and a few alternatives) and find out exactly what they require. Remember not to pin all your plans on a single university in case you don't get accepted to it.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Whilst I agree with ILC's general sentiments, if you want to do a vocational degree, such as mid-wifery, then you are best taking relevant A-levels as unis are likely be picky for those kinds of courses.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Yes indeedy, I quite agree. My bad for not making it clear.

Whether the uni requires it or not, you're going to be in a better position having given yourself the appropriate grounding.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Tut tut I love Christmas :P hehe
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Millenia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:57 am

Hi there,

im doing nursing at the moment and i haven't done any sciences, but i must say that you will find it so much easier if you have done biology as you will be doing a physiology class and the people who have done biology are finding it easy whereas myself i am studying about 4 hours a day on the subject alone as it will get more difficult as i go onto my second year.

Even if you don;t have a science i suggest you buy some human biology books or even an anatomy book as it will help a lot.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby essyiii » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:14 pm

thanks that's very helpful :)
Steph x
essyiii
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues