Shall I go to work tomorrow, in spite of the weather?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Shall I go to work tomorrow, in spite of the weather?

Postby stressball » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to vent on there a little bit!! In 7 days, my auntie slipped on some black ice and broken her ankle and the hospital they took her to is snowed in so none of us or other family can reach her and she got really upset on the phone as it's so close to Christmas, my cousin from the other side of my family broke his ankle too, falling down a hill as it was icy and slippery, he is in another hospital, and my cousin (who happens to be my aunties daughter) has collapsed this afternoon and was rushed by ambulance to hospital, I just have this feeling that it's going to be a rubbish Christmas this year!!!

The other reason I wanted to write was to ask, I have to walk to work as I don't drive, usually it takes me 20-25 minutes but as the snow is not melting and it is PURE ice outside (I went to put something in our bin in my back garden, literally 3 steps and I almost fell over) do i risk going to work tomorrow?? On my route to work I usually have to go up and down hills and I'm just worried I'm going to have an accident like the rest of my family!! Thing is, if I don't go to work tomorrow, I'll probably lose money by not being paid and we have a secret santa meal which means the person who I have a present for wont be getting one :(

Anyone got any suggestions?? :( x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Shall I go to work tomorrow, in spite of the weather?

Postby captainf » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your family having a few unfortunate accidents. I really hope that your cousin is alright. Any idea what caused her to collapse?

Do you have to travel down alot of country roads or even down alot of untreated roads? If so then i'd suggest staying home if you're that worried. Its not nice having to drive in such icy conditions and if you arent comfortable about it then dont do it. Remember driving is all about safety and if it isnt safe dont drive.
Also cant you just give your secret santa present to that person on tuesday instead?

I'm sure you will have a nice xmas. This still a few days left ;) :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby stressball » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey Captain F, thanks for replying so quick, I've literally just got off the phone, turns out my cousin is supposed to take daily medication for some hormone problem she has and forgot to take it this morning which caused her to collapse at work, although I hear they are considering letting her go tonight, which is good news!

Regarding work, I don't really have the option of driving as I don't drive anyway, so the main worry would be walking, so it's just the matter of getting to work and back in one piece that's all - I know the secret santa thing wouldnt be an issue but i hate letting people down :( I just know something bad might happen if I try and walk up that hill that I have to every weekday morning, my partner has had a look down our road and chatted with a neighbour of ours, and he said that there used to be grit bins at the end of our street but because the government said it was too expensive they removed them, so our road coming out of our house is impossible to drive down, let alone walk :( arghhhh lol xx
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Aww I see. Thats a lesson learnt for her then. Atleast shes coming out tonight though. :)

Ahh walking. In that case i'd still suggest you stay home because walking can be quite dangerous, especially if alot of the route is icy!
You're not letting anyone down. They will get their present the next day ;)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby stressball » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:41 pm

That's true, thanks for asking though :) Just spoke to her now, and she was a bit worried about how everyone knew so quickly and I replied that's family for you, we're all gossips but our hearts are in the right place!! :)

Yeah I am seriously considering not risking it although my boss is really unsympathetic so I'm kinda worried about his reaction too, on Friday when all the roads were shut he still sat in traffic for 2 1/2 hours just so he can brag to everyone how he made it to work, and how he's such a hero, thats the type of guy he is!!!

Anyway, you're right, I really don't want to be another casualty!!! :) x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:48 pm

haha My family is the same, something happens to one of us and the whole lot know before the end of the day haha. Glad to hear you've spoken to her.

Dont worry about how unsympathetic your boss is. If you want you can always say you're ill instead. Say you was sick or something. I know thats being dishonest but he cant say anything if he thinks you've been ill.
I think you're making the right decision in staying home. Your health and also your safety is alot more important than pleasing your boss.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby stressball » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Lol, you read my mind, everyone has got really bad colds at work too, so I'm probably doing myself a favour by keeping away :) thank you for your advice, It's good to hear someone agrees, I know to others I'm probably a little bit dramatic but I'd rather be seen as that rather than someone with broken bones!!

Thank you :) Have a great Christmas xxx
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:54 am

You're putting your safety above all else and thats exactly what you should do. No job is above safety. Safety is more important.
I hope you dont catch the cold going around your work. :)

Aww many thanks and I also hope you have a lovely christmas too. :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues