Small Venting Session Required

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Small Venting Session Required

Postby mattmxl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Not one day back after the Christmas break and I already feel screwed over by my employer. I've had quite a stressful time of it lately with work which had led to me becoming ill in around October-November time. So I thought I would book the first week back after New Year off as holiday and have a slightly longer break than usual. Then what happens, we have the worst winter for over 100 years and the place shuts for four of the five days I have booked off due to the snow. I wasn't too worried about this as I thought that I'd still be paid for these closure days because I'd booked a period of annual leave. However I returned to work to discover that the people that hadn't had the time booked off were paid anyway and I wasn't entitled to claim my holiday days back, so essentially I lost four days holiday. This doesn't strike me as quite right or fair but apparently its company policy. I'm not sure if its like that in other companies but its sausage annoying from where I'm sitting. Is this the way it works at most places or do I have a right to be somewhat peeved, thats what I wanna know really?
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Small Venting Session Required

Postby everloney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 am

I have no idea because i have never had this sort of situation. Although it does sound as though that is what would happen, it is just unlucky you booked your holiday for that time. This doesn't mean you can't be annoyed.
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm

I'd be tempted agree with everylonely that it was just unlucky. You could always go to citizens advice and ask them if you would like to know more details.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby mattmxl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Ah well, if that's the case then that's the case, it's not going to stop me being annoyed at it though, I've decided lol.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby everloney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:31 pm

I would be so annoyed too, so you have every right to be! I would throw a few sickys to make up for it ;). You didn't hear that from me though!! :)
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mattmxl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Absolutely not, lol, though that is a sausage good idea, lol.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Being annoyed is perfectly acceptable lol!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues