Unprofessional boss! ARGHHHHH

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Unprofessional boss! ARGHHHHH

Postby stressball » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Just wanted to rant really, about my extremely unprofessional accountant boss!! I've been at my current place of work about 2 years now and already I want to leave because of this man, he makes my life at work very difficult!!

When I first started I thought he was a very pleasant guy, seemed really nice and said If i ever needed to talk to him about anything etc then he'd lend an ear..GREAT i thought. My colleagues who have all been in the office over 10 years warned me about him, said he's a backstabber and not at all genuine, and I thought, I need to make my own decision. Well sooner rather than later he showed his true self, he backstabs EVERYONE in the company (including HIS boss, our MD) and says mean personal things about people for no reason, then expects you to agree with him, I've actually heard him badmouthing me whilst I was IN THE OFFICE!!! (He didnt realise I was there). When I had a grievance with a colleague who was being really nasty to me (I posted this problem a few months ago) when he returned from holiday when it all happened he never mentioned it, so I mentioned it in my appraisal and he brushed it under the carpet, completely overrided what I was saying and started talking about something else!!

He's already driven out 2 people in our "HR dept" because they couldn't handle him victimising them..so he gets me to do all their work...we've had a new person in to do the job he's been there 6 months now and refuses to switch the work from me to the new person because he doesnt trust them!!! This person has only been there 6 months and is already thinking of leaving and this is the THIRD person that confides in me on how unhappy he makes them (I sit next to whoever is doing HR...as we dont have a proper office or dept for it!!)

But what really got to me today was that he asked me to prepare a report last year, which I do every week...he then expects me to set up the new 2010 sheet (which I had no idea as to what to do) then because he had to help me with the formulas etc, it took up a whole morning yesterday trying to sort it out, then i hear from colleagues of different departments he's backstabbed me saying it's all my fault he's behind in his work and that he had to stay at work until 7.30pm last night to get things done (he said this to me this morning and expected an apology I think but i didnt give one) and I'm incompetent coz i dont know what Im doing!!!!!!!

Sorry it's so long needed a rant, I've had enough!! :(

Stressball

P.S. sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm just typing this in a rage lol!
Last edited by stressball on Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Unprofessional boss! ARGHHHHH

Postby stressball » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Just thought I'd add as well, he's also made personal comments of a sexist nature and said another colleague is better looking than me which is completely out of order, he makes personal phone calls all the time (in the office so everyone can hear) yet bans our mobiles in the office, he will not pay overtime if I stay later than usual, as he says as I'm the clerk and only hired to help my other colleagues with their workload there's no need for overtime!! He also lies and berates me in front of people and when I say something to him he...has...to...repeat...it...slowly....as....if...what...ive...said....makes....no....sense??!!???

Sorry again :( lol

Stressball
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 am

Aw Stressball, he sounds absolutely horrible! His behaviour will be having a negative effect on staff morale and productivity. Is there no sign of him leaving? Or somebody higher than him that you can complain to?
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby stressball » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Hello Jo, thanks for replying. He will be retiring in 7 years time and I don't know if I'm prepared to wait that long to be honest!! All my colleagues in our department have to work in SILENCE when we are in the office (he doesn't allow chatting) its so quiet in there you can hear the clock ticking!!! When he's away or out of the office we all joke around and talk as much as possible, cramming in everything as we are back to silence as soon as he returns. The only one higher than him is our managing director - he is retiring in 2 years time and is already spending a lot of time away from work, and his health isnt that great, so i doubt very much he would do anything if i complained. Plus my boss has been there +10 years and does all his accounting for him so he is much more needed than I am!!

I know I'm going on a bit, but it gets really frustrating at times, all of our morale is really low, and people from other depts ask y we are so miserable when they come into our office, as they think our boss is the nicest guy ever (he is incredibly two-faced)

Thing is I do actually like my job, im finally somewhere where i like the work im doing, aiming for a qualification this year by going to college, the people are a laugh (most of the time!) and its 20 mins walk from where i live (i dont drive) so id be mad to give it all up now!!

I suppose asking for everything to be right is asking for too much lol :(

Stressball x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues