Overcoming Nerves!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Overcoming Nerves!

Postby sarahloub84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi People,
I have an important job interview tomorrow and I'm already a nervous wreck about it! haha! Just wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom in controlling my nerves???
Thanks
Sarah :) x
sarahloub84
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Overcoming Nerves!

Postby RagDoll » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:46 pm

I know this is pretty obvious - but are you as well prepared for the interview as you possible could be?

I find that when I know I've done a lot of preparation - found out about the company/their projects/ethos etc. etc. I feel much more confident. At least you know you've got that to fall back on. I usually think of 1 or 2 fall back questions to ask them at the end too, as it's better to ask them something and show you're interested than say you don't have anything to ask.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sarahloub84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi there,

It's a job within a local Council. I already know a lot about local authority and the role I'm being interviewed for as I currently work in a different council. I'm confident that I know about the role etc. I'm just worried that my nerves will stop me showcasing myself properly.

Sarah x
sarahloub84
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

You need to remember that you are also interviewing them. Make sure you are ready early, have you planned how you are getting there? I like to do that before, as it takes the stress out.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sarahloub84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Yeah I'm all sorted for getting there. I'll be arriving early so I'm gonna grab a drink (Not alcoholic!) in a cafe round the corner beforehand and go through some information I have. I'm thinking caffine won't be a good idea! I think I'm so nervous because I REALLY want this job!
sarahloub84
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Having worked for an LA should help you get this job, so that should make you more confident :)

Having worked for two LAs myself, I still think it's worth you having a look at their policies etc. as they're all a bit different. I always think it's important to drop in that you know about the projects they work on etc... also, since it's a job for an LA... do you know the area they cover? Might be worth having a drive around to acquaint yourself with the area if not
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sarahloub84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah I'm lucky in that respect. I've had 6 years service so far. I moved to a new area in Sept and I've been commuting 4 hours a day to my job (i don't drive) and I am desperate for something closer to home! I'm not very clued up on my new area, but I suppose that's something that comes with time. I know that I am more than capable of doing the job really I'm just after a bit of advice on calming my ar@e down before my interview lol
sarahloub84
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:55 pm

How did it go?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sarahloub84 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I had my interview last Friday. It went well but I feel like I was just chatting away nervously most of the interview lol. I was supposed to hear back on Tuesday but someone they shortlisted but couldn't get hold of has now emerged and has to be interviewed too. The wait is killing me! It's been a week now and I can't concentrate on anything and the more I think about it, the more things I think of that I could have said! I wish they'd just put me out of my misery!!
sarahloub84
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 pm

At least they haven't just said no. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby glady » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 am

Provide possible questions that your interviewer will ask you then answer those questions.
Continue practicing your answers so that you'll have the guts to face your interviewer.
glady
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues