Stroppy colleague

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Stroppy colleague

Postby whoopsie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 pm

I work in an office full of girls, and we all get on really well. I sit to the side of the the most senior admin under my manager. She spends alot of time on the phone to her bf, mum, sister etc. Because I sit so close, I can pretty much hear everything she is saying. Not conciously tho. It's not like I sit and make an effort to listen cos I want to know what's going on in her life!

Anyway, she works as a gym instructor in the evenings, and she's been talking to someone over the last few days about some trouble she's been having there. I don't know what it is. She finished her phone call, so I asked if everything was ok. To which she replied 'do you listen to all my conversations?' I told her I didn't mean to but it's a bit hard not to hear considering I sit next to her. She said 'you obviously do mean to otherwise you wouldn't'.

It's annoyed me a bit cos I was only trying to be nice. She talks about pretty much everything to everyone (inc the colour of her poo most recently!) so you don't really get a chance to be nosey. I can understand that she may see it like that, but am just annoyed that she hasn't taken into consideration that she is on the phone all the time and talks loud enough for us all to hear.

Just wanted to vent, sorry!
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Stroppy colleague

Postby snail » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 pm

That would annoy me too! Not sure what you can do about it though.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whoopsie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Which bit would annoy you? Someone over hearing your conversation and asking about it or the way she reacted?
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

The way she reacted. point out if she wants conversations to be private she shouldn't have them in an open office.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes, sorry, I meant the ungrateful way she reacted when you were trying to be kind.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whoopsie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Phew, good. I wasn't sure if I was in the wrong. I didn't think I was.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues