Messed up

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Messed up

Postby everloney » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Yesterday i messed up at work that caused someone to get hurt. I feel really bad. I have never done anything like this before. I never used to mess up like this in the UK. I don't get it, why am i such a failure here?
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Messed up

Postby snail » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 am

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, Ever. Can you tell us what happened?
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby everloney » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm

I was supervising this person on a machine and they were not using the right protection and were too close and got burnt. As i was supervising it was my fault and my boss yelled at me and said many nasty things.... He talked to me this morning and i feel better because he was less angry. I still feel bad the person got burnt though and am thinking of quitting....
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 am

Well at least it wasn't too serious.

Perhaps you didn't make mistakes back in the UK, but then you didn't have anywhere near as much to deal with there. You're in a foreign country thousands of miles from home with a different culture in many ways, you've had all sorts of issues - work, driving, social life, boyfriends, moving house a lot, etc. It's been tough, and you need to give yourself credit for managing as well as you have (I'd love to do what you did, but I don't think I'd have the courage).

Give it a few days and see if you still feel like quitting then, don't make a snap decision as a result of one incident.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby everloney » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks snail, I think you're right, it has been really difficult. I have found myself forgetting things and being tired all the time. I have dreams about my teeth falling out alot, which is a classic stress dream. I guess I'm just really stressed and when i mess up it makes me even more stressed. had another meeting with my boss yesterday and i told him he was being too hard on me and it makes me nervous and i mess up. He said he would back off for awhile. Hopefully he will. I still feel really bad for the girl though, and i heard that my boss said many mean things about me behind my back....

Thanks for replying snail, sometimes i just feel so alone and isolated. It's nice to know i can come here and talk to people.
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues