Reduced hours...

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Reduced hours...

Postby GreasySpoon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi there, can anyone answer my question or give me some advice pls...

Basically after i had my baby i went back to work part time. I worked 30 hours a week. Now my boss has said that she has to reduce my hours down to 16 due to business being slow. She has written me a letter saying my hours will reduce and stay at 16 for 4 weeks but then after 4 weeks we will have a meeting and if business still hasn't picked up she may have no choice but to reduce them further... There is another girl who works in this company who is full time. Her hours however have remained the same and there has been no talk about reducing her hours, not now or in 4 weeks time when we have a meeting. My question is, can an employer single out a staff member like this, if my hours have already been reduced surely the next step is to reduce the other employee's hours and not mine again?? I can't see how this is fair. Just because i am part time doesn't mean i am any less qualifed than the other staff member, in fact i am more qualifed than her!

If anyone knows anything about this i could do with some input! I think personally i am being treated a tad unfairly!! :oops:
GreasySpoon
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Reduced hours...

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Your contracts will be fundamentally different. She's full time and you're part time.

Your contract is likely to say something along the lines of you being contracted to work a maximum of 16hrs per week. Hers will say something along the lines of her not being normally required to exceed a 39hr working week.

Full time hours are set, so without breaching her contract they can't reduce her hours. With you being part time, they can.

I know it seems unfair, but as I understand it they are playing by the rules, in fact in some ways they're doing you a favour. It'd be easier for them to get rid of you altogether but they're not, in the hope that business picks up. You won't see it that way, and who can blame you, but that's how I see it...removed from the situation of course.

If you're in any doubt then look out your contract and read the wording on it. At the end of the day though you're in a battle you cannot win. If you force their hand they'll simply make you redundant.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reduced hours...

Postby GreasySpoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes you are right, that makes sense. We don't have a contract however but i can see that there is not a lot i can do about it and i know it isn't even worth bringing up with the boss. I was just a little mad i guess as i do feel the boss wants me to leave as we haven't seen eye to eye for a while. I don't think she was keen on me returning to work after i had my baby but of course she had no choice. Anyway I guess the best thing for me is to look for another job!
Thanks for help! :D
GreasySpoon
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues