My Saturdays, mine, mine MINE

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My Saturdays, mine, mine MINE

Postby Planty » Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Argh. I'm really sorry, this is more about getting it off my chest than anything. Each year I have to give up two Saturday's to get the year end archiving done at work - or at least make a good dent in it. It's not something that's negotiable, just something I am expected to do. They give me two leiu days for this which is great but to be honest I'd rather have the money or not have to do it at all.

Anyway, I did my two Saturdays at the start of May and have today put my holiday form in for them to the MD. He has just brought it out saying "these lieu days - you haven't finished the arching yet?" what the hell has that got to do with it? The fact of the matter is that I have done my two Saturdays and am owed the lieu days for them!!!!!

He then did his usual thing of pretending he's all confused and saying "oh yeah of course" etc etc etc. Am I being unreasonable here? We have an agreement and I've stuck to my side of it. I have a seperate job that I work Saturdays that I had to give up to do it and I did explain to him that I will try to fit the last few bits of archiving in my normal day..............

Argh - maybe it's me..............

I don't really expect a reply but thanks for listening.........
Planty
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: My Saturdays, mine, mine MINE

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu May 27, 2010 8:58 am

Hi there,

I'm interested to know if this archiving is something you're expected to do at the weeked, or if you're choosing to do it on a saturday because it doesn't fit into your normal working day?

I'll tell you where i'm coming from. Any company i've worked for in my adult career so far makes me aware of my job and the hours for which I get paid to do it. My job doesn't fit inside those hours some of the time, but it's just expected that the job will be done, it's up to me how I make that happen.

I'm wondering if your boss actually sees these days in leiu as some kind of favour for getting the work done rather than an entitlement, hence his question about why you were asking for the days off without having finished the work.

Either way, I can understand why you'd be peeved about it, but I suppose it all comes down to the agreement you have with your employer. At least you are getting your days off, albeit a little grudgingly.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Saturdays, mine, mine MINE

Postby Planty » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks ILC, to be honest it's always been an agreement whereby it is extra and the leiu days are given for it. They know there is no chance of me fitting the archiving into my normal day (already do more than my contracted hours on a daily basis) so it was the only way to get it done. It's always been known that it's to make a dent in the work too - there's no way it would all be done in two days..............

I think perhaps he was just having a bad day and I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hey ho, as you said I've got the days I'm owed now anyway.......

Thinking about it, my assistant in past years has usually helped, at least during the week, but the one I have now is pregnant so I certainly don't expect her to be lugging boxes around, I guess it is taking a little longer than usual to get it all cleared. I guess they will just have to put up with it. I don't have any more hours int he day I can give them.........
Planty
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues