contract ending....

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: contract ending....

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Aw no, really sorry to hear that Spacegirl :(

I totally understand that it probably feels like your World has just fallen apart around you, but I am sure it'll work out ok in the fullness of time. Is there another direction you can take your experience and qualifications in? If you're good at your job, no doubt you'll get a glowing reference which will help.

Any ideas where you're going to go from here? I know it's rubbish, but are you going to start applying for stop gap jobs in shops/bars etc whilst job hunting for something more appropriate?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Cyber hugs, giant chocolate bars (watch out snail doesn't steal any) and ice cream (ssh -keep it away from pee) in abundance to help you through this.

I too agree it could turn out to be a good thing but you obviously won't feel like that right now

Good luck looking for something new

:grouphug:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 pm

So sorry, Spacegirl. :(

As the others have said, it might actually lead to you getting something better, you never know.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spacegirl » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Aw thanks guys... i know, hopefully something good will turn up. i'm just disappointed as i'd a really good interesting job that i worked really hard at, now it seems i'm going to be faced with a dull office job that i hate. but i am keeping my eyes peeled and hopefully i'll see something i like.

Applied for a few more things tonight. zzz....
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby spacegirl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Job interview on tuesday!!! It's an amazing job with the children's rights commissioner so i REALLY want it, been up since 9am this morning preparing, think i'll go out tonight i need a break!! :) wish me luck.... especially since i've had 3 more rejection letters in as many days! :/
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Skarlet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Goodluck with that Spacegirl! :D
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby spacegirl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:41 pm

EEK! Anyone ever had to give an UNSEEN presentation for a job interview??? I've no idea what the topic will be, even whether it will be related to the job or not, and the magnitude of this is just dawning on me now!!!! should i bring my laptop? Aaaghhh!!!!!
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 am

Aw it's a bit late for me to comment on the unseen presentation (tho I've never had that before so wouldn't have been able to offer much advice anyway!), but I just wanted to ask how the interview went? Hope it went well :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Hey space sorry too hear you lost your old job fingers crossed this new one went well at the interview. let us know how you get on. take care brfc
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Hope it went well too spacegirl. Unseen presentation sounds pretty daunting :o
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby spacegirl » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 pm

well, interview was a disaster... the presentation was actually fine, i managed to pull it off ok, however i was so wound up with nerves as a result I got really flustered during the interview and forgot LOADS of stuff. :( grr

so... if anyone happens to see any jobs in the paper while you're drinking your tea and dipping your hobnobs and you think "oh! spacegirl could do that!" give me a shout :)

(no seriously lol. my specialities are marketing, tourism, conferencing, e-marketing, social media, sustainability ;))

back to the drawing board!!!!
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby spacegirl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 pm

well... still no luck :( i didn't get the job i interviewed for - they rang to give me feedback, and they said that it was between me and another candidate, and the reason they decided to go for the other person was that I kept saying "we" (as in my company), instad of "I" when talking about my projects. I can't believe it. Apparently my presentation was great though, i got so worked up and nervous about it, that i messed up the interview. I am gutted.

well at least I have that bit of feedback I can avoid doing that in the future, I remember doing it in the interview, and i was aware of it, but i was so nervous it just kept happening!!

A lady phoned me today, she's a conference manager who i've worked with on a few occasions and she heard on the grapevine that I was leaving, so she rang and asked me to send her my cv, and has put a word in for me already for a job that's come up in her company which i thought was so nice.

I've applied for 26 jobs so far and have got one interview which I messed up so I really hope something turns up soon... :(
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 am

Seems like a small thing to be picky over.

Hopefully the next one will be the right one. Fingers crossed for you. :D
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 am

Sometimes these experiences make you feel like you just can't win.

I mean in some cases saying 'we' would be a plus point because it shows you worked with others and aren't trying to claim full credit. In other cases (apparently this one) it's seen as a negative. How you're meant to judge ahead of time I don't know.

When i'm interviewing I usually know from a person's CV if they were working alone or in a team and the answers I expect to get are adjusted accordingly.

Good luck with this new opportunity though, having someone on the inside is always a huge benefit!
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spacegirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I got a job!!!!! hurray!!!

although it's not a very exciting one so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a few more interesting things i've applied for! Also, the salary they've offered is lower than that advertised which i'm a bit peed off about but hey! I'm just relieved I can relax now and not spend my life filling out app forms!!!

yippeeeeee!!! gna have a few glasses of wine tonight to celebrate haha
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

PreviousNext

Return to Work & Colleagues