Nerves!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Nerves!

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I've got to give a presentation/talk this afternoon at 3.30pm. It's not as formal as a power point presentation or anything, I just have to talk about a project I am managing and answer any questions people may have.... I know written down in black and white it doesn't sound that bad, but I am starting to get really nervous.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can stay calm so I don't mess up?! The more nervous I get, the more I tend to trip over my words etc. and I hate waffling on like a moron in front of people!!! :-?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Nerves!

Postby snail » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm

I hate these things too!

First of all, nobody will mind if you're nervous and you show it - it shows you're taking it seriously. And if you go ahead anyway despite being nervous instead of trying to duck out of it, it shows you are professional. I've had a lot of people say to me "We could see you were really nervous" - in an approving way! Don't worry about the signs of nerves, or putting on a brave face. Be proud of being nervous!

Secondly, you'll feel better if you know the subject well and are prepared for any questions. I know that's a bit obvious though.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 pm

snail wrote:And if you go ahead anyway despite being nervous instead of trying to duck out of it, it shows you are professional.

I can already tick that box - I volunteered to this (why, oh why!! haha). Since I am managing the project, it makes most sense for me to be the one that talks about it, but I wasn't told I had to do it. I thought it'd look good if I grew a pair and actually did it myself, but then again I know there are probably better people to do it in the respect that I am not good at public speaking :oops:
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 am

Whenever I have to do this I find my best chance is to minimise what I have to say.

This is your project so you're best placed to know about it. That is an advantage if you're careful, but leads to waffle if you're not. On paper summarise the points you need to deal with (1 word is fine), they only need to be bullet points. You'll know enough already to take that point on and talk a little about it. If a point has sub-points that really must be dealt with, then set them out below the main point so you have a note of them.

Then the next thing to do is either memorise the points, or print them out so they're big enough that you can read them at a glance. You won't get any browny points for doing it without notes, so who cares if others see them. The important thing is that you flow between topics without all this 'eh, um, where was I' stuff.

If you do lose your place in a topic then move on from it. Don't panic. Look at your next point and talk about it. If people need more information about the topic you slipped up in they will have the chance to ask questions at the end. If they do then you can expand on your answer and fill in the gap.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:21 pm

How did it go? I bet it wasn't half as bad as expected.

I did my first presentation at work a few weeks ago (I've refused to do them until then); I made the decision and did it quickly; I didn't have time to worry and whilst I was nervous I got it over and done with ok.

Point is you volunteered it; thats the first big step. Well done :)
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 pm

It went ok - could have been better, but could have been a whole lot worse!

I used your tips ILC re: the one word prompts. It helped keep me on track.

Glad it's over and done with, though I would imagine I will have to do something similar again soon #-o
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Glad it went well RagDoll :D

These things always come across better to other people than you think it sounds to yourself. Next time you'll know some basic techniques to approach it with confidence!
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Work & Colleagues