Upsetting other collegues by applying for a promotion?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Upsetting other collegues by applying for a promotion?

Postby softsall » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:20 pm

I have just started a new job two weeks ago. An internal position has arisen and my manager has told me that he would like to apply for it. I'm pretty much up to the job and I think I would like extra responsibility. The only thing is that I think a couple of other collegues who have been there years are also applying. I don't want to turn my new work collegues against me by going up against them for this job. What should I do? On one hand I would love a challenge and extra money but on the other I don't want to end up with sour work mates, or have people gossiping behind my back. :oops:
softsall
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Upsetting other collegues by applying for a promotion?

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:51 am

Well you would hope that your colleagues are mature enough to realise that it comes down to ability, experience and suitability for the post. Each of you will have those aspects in different measures and it's for the people interviewing you to decide who has the correct blend.

I wouldn't let your concerns stand in the way of you going for the post. If they're the type to gossip behind your back about it then they'd do it over something else if not this.

When it comes to advancing your own career you can't really afford to spend too much time thinking about what others will think of your decisions, I doubt others would do it for you. You're not stabbing anyone else in the back, you're not being underhand, you're clearly well thought of, so I say go for it.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upsetting other collegues by applying for a promotion?

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Couldn't agree more with ILC on this one
Go for it
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues