Rumours of redundancy - help!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Rumours of redundancy - help!

Postby stressball » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi all, I'll try and keep this as short as possible!

I have been working at my place of work for 2 years as an accounts administrator. I have been told by one of my colleagues today who has been there for 20 years that my boss has had a private conversation with her saying that our department is over-staffed. I've been told that we have a "no redundancy policy" however, my boss has insinuated in the past that if they want someone out, they will get them out one way or another. (not very professional, but hey-ho!) Our HR representative is leaving (we've had 2 leave in 2 years), and rumour has it they are looking for me to do the HR work as well as my own.

I am petrified of losing my job. My other colleagues have been with the company for 10/15/20years, I don't really have a specific role as such (I pick up little bits from everyone's jobs) so it's been made clear by my colleagues if anyone was to be made redundant then it would be me.

At the moment it's rumours, but I'm so scared. What I find unbelieveable (apart from the fact my boss told my colleague in the first place) is that other departments in the company are actually hiring new staff...when their workload hasn't increased. This has all stemmed from our bigger boss in another country who told our boss in the UK that he does not need as many people in accounts, as he has half the staff that does the same workload.

Anyone got any advice? x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Rumours of redundancy - help!

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:45 pm

First the boss may well have told her there needs to be redundancies but don't assume it will be you. If other staff earn considerably more than you long term it may save the company more money by getting rid of someone who has 20 years of payrises under their belt.
Also with the new law meaning you cannot get rid of someone just because they reach retirement age may mean they choose to use it as an opportunity to get rid of someone older.
If you are offered the HR work that will be one way to keep a job. If you then find you can't cope you will need to tell them there is too much work

Ultimately these are rumours and people will have their own agendas when adding in or leaving bits of information out when they pass on the gossip
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

The boss may lso have deliberately leaked the info in the hope someone would leave and it will save him the job

The employee who told you isn't trust wirthy either as she broke her bosses trust

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby stressball » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi Belbel, thanks for replying :)

Your answers have really given me food for thought - in fact when i got home after hearing this last week my other half said practically the same things as you and that I should only worry when my boss calls me in to talk about it, and take what others say with a pinch of salt.

I must admit, I have tried getting more details out of the woman who told me and asked her thoughts/opinions on it and she has almost completely clammed up on me and doesnt want to talk about it now, so I'm wondering whether it was exaggerated slightly? My boss is having secret meetings with the other managers to "discuss the HR situation" this week as I heard him whispering it into the phone this week, but nothing has been said to me as such.

Therefore, I think there is something going on, but I'm annoyed I've yet to find out what's happening!!

Tis very frustrating :(

Stressball x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Well but for "big gob" you would have been happy and none the wiser. As I say it shows she is not to be trusted.
Try not to worry, what will be will be.
Managers can't always involve everyone in decisions and it was unprofessional of the manager to discuss it with this other lady.
Other managers may have other ideas how to solve the problem too so whatever he has said may already be irrelevant.
Please try not to worry.

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby stressball » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Bel Bel,

Thanks for your advice, I feel a little better than I did about things, and you're right this person is not to be trusted!! I guess I'll deal with it if the cr*p hits the fan!! :)

Thank you, feel a lot better now xx
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues