Can't choose between 2 jobs

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Can't choose between 2 jobs

Postby octavia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Help! I have been offered 2 jobs and trying to choose the one for me is tearing me apart.

One is with the NHS (admin) and pays 21k a year. Lots of holidays, flexi-time and a pension that's hard to beat.
The other is private sector. A well established American owned company which pays slightly less basic but a generous bonus - not guaranteed but for the last 7 years has paid out a further 75% on top of the basic. 20 days holiday and Stakeholder pension.

I think the NHS job will be easier but should I take the easy option when the rewards are potentially so much better?
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Can't choose between 2 jobs

Postby rufio89 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:37 am

I personally would take the NHS job, the NHS is notoriously difficult to get into and there will inevitably be room for changing position once you're settled if you feel that the role isnt challenging enough.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 am

I don't know about the NHS job because of all the public sector cuts. I think I might be inclined to go for the private sector job in the current economic climate.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Have you decided yet?
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby octavia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm

NO. This is one of the most difficult things I have had to do in a long while.
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Jo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Oh no! How long have you got to decide? I'm thinking you must have by now! I'd be in exactly the same quandary but I think I'd probably plump for the NHS job - dunno why. Unless the other company is a really established one with a good track record with it's staff. I'd want to know what the staff turnover is like and how happy the current staff are before choosing to work there.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Work & Colleagues