chose the wrong job. Is it too late to change?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

chose the wrong job. Is it too late to change?

Postby octavia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:58 pm

I was offered 2 jobs last month and was totally torn between them. I started the one I chose this week, but my boss seems to be a bit of a control freak and I'm beginning to have doubts that I can work with her happily. I'm in 2 minds whether to bail out now and go back to the other employer with an excuse for changing my mind. There's a possibility that this job is still available. I'd feel a bit guilty but at the end of the day, I have to do what is best for me. Do you think this would be wrong?
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: chose the wrong job. Is it too late to change?

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am

Do what makes you happy, but be careful that you're not simply thinking the grass is greener on the otherside. What is it that makes you think the other job won't be exactly the same?

Certainly i'd make sure you had been re-offered and accepted the other job before doing anything about resigning from this one. Don't be too surprised if they say no though, because you'll have given them plenty of reason to suspect you'll do exactly the same thing to them. You also have the issue of reference to deal with; it's quite likely that your prospective employer will want to talk to your current one.

If you do get to talk to whoever is responsible for recruitment I would be honest. Tell them that the other position seemed more attractive at the time but that things are not working out. Use the opportunity to make it clear that there are real reasons for you wanting to leave and it's not simply because you don't like being told how to do your job.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Work & Colleagues