New job worries

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

New job worries

Postby alicycling » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:08 pm

I am coming to the end of my first year in a senior leadership role in an educational institute. I have found it tough, more than I imagined and the job is completely different to what I was expecting. I would really relish a return to the classroom rather than writing out policy documents and having to negotiate with short sighted and ill tempered colleagues. The pupils are all brilliant; it's the staff I find troublesome.

If I could go back a year and a half, I wish I had never applied for this job and I'm wondering about how I can get out and return to a post with less responsibility. Money and status have never been an issue to me. I'm just wondering what others would do if they were in this situation.

Thanks for any advice you can offer or give me.
alicycling
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: New job worries

Postby jen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 am

I think in this situation you've got to do what's best for you and also what makes you happy.

If money and status are really not an important factor then i would say go for it. If being in the classroom is what you love then go for it. Obviously not everyone is going to be 100% happy with their jobs but if you're really unhappy with your current role and have the chance to be in a job that makes you happier then i think you need to do what's best for you and grab it with both hands.

Sorry if i haven't been much help.

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues