I'm secretly interviewing for another job

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'm secretly interviewing for another job

Postby brendo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 am

Hi folks,

It's been awhile since I've logged on here but I have a scenario at work right now that I need to voice and I would love to hear a few responses from people on what they think I should do. I know I always get solid advice here whenever I post here :D

Basically, I graduated over a year ago and have been working for the past year in an architecture job that I really really enjoy and for a boss that I get on well with and whom I hold in high esteem. Our office is just the two of us so it's pretty cosy. I've learned so much and now I'm doing a 1 year part time post graduate course as part of my final accreditation and my boss is paying for this semester's fee (€850) which is greatly appreciated. He has offered to pay for the second semester when the time comes. My wages are pretty low (I've earned more stacking shelves during college) but I'm good at budgeting and I know that living on a low income won't last forever. As there is just the two of us, I know a lot more about the incomings and outgoings of the office than I otherwise would in a larger firm. I know my wages are low simply because there just isn't enough money coming in to pay me any more than what I'm earning. My christmas 'bonus' was the offer to pay for my studies which I was delighted with - it was an unexpected and wonderful financial boost!

So here's the dilemma - I saw a government job advertised last month that I thought would suit a friend of mine and told her to apply. The pay is much better and there's no overtime (I've been doing a lot of 12 hour days for 8 hours pay since early December) so I thought I'd send in an application also. These jobs get tonnes of applicants and I genuinely thought I'd get nowhere with it but low and behold I've been called to interview at the end of this month. I am thrilled with the opportunity but I also don't want to screw over my boss. Obviously telling him I got an interview is a bad idea but if I get the job (that's a big if, I know) I will literally get the minimum month's notice to pass on to my boss and really I would prefer to put him on guard that I might be leaving. But I gotta play hard ball so I'm willing to do that.

The real sticky issue here is that as I am only a relatively recent graduate, the only relevant work reference I have is my current employer so I listed him on my application. Again I thought the application would not get past the first stage. I might need him to give me a reference if things get to the final stage so in that case he will find out about the job before I would actually get offered any position. He is a reasonable guy and he took me on last year with no promises so part of me thinks he would be ok with me leaving him so suddenly. The employee I replaced did the same thing to him last year and he didn't hold it against her. I man the office phone and control all calls to him so I can ensure no one can get in contact with him for a reference if I so choose.

While I am still debating what I should or shouldn't do, the boss tells me today that the fee for the last big tender package we worked on brought in less than the wages I was paid for the two months I worked on it. His business overdraft is nearly maxed out and just last week he missed the monthly mortgage payment on our office. His extended family are relatively well to do and I get the feeling they may have helped him through the recession but I'm not sure how stable my job there is right now. I mean, did he tell me about his finances to prepare me for a delayed wage package at the end of the month? I don't know. Is gonna lay me off? I don't know. All I know is I have 3 different projects that I need to rush through in the next month to get some income back into the office. So more long days at the office..... ](*,)

The more I type and reread this, the more I realise that no matter what I do, it's not my job to 'save' the company and my position there is tenuous at best. Still, I want to organise things so that if I end up leaving that I won't leave on bad terms.

Thoughts please.... :-k :-k
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: I'm secretly interviewing for another job

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:40 pm

You have to look after number one
It doesn't sound like you will have employment much longer if things are going the way they are
You will probably be doing the boss a favour as it sounds like he can't continue to pay you anyway
I think you should say in view of how things are going with the money in the office you have had to look for other things, nothing might come of it anyway but you wanted to let him know sooner rather than later
If he can't respect the truth then what else is there
If he is going to be annoyed he will be annoyed I don't think you can prevent that
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: I'm secretly interviewing for another job

Postby brendo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Bel Bel. I guess I'm just trying to over manage the situation and avoid any possible confrontation but like you say, if he's gonna be annoyed then there's really very little I can do about that. I've just got to get my timing right and handle things as best I can after that.

Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that this works out in my favour :)
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues