Unemployed and desperate!!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Unemployed and desperate!!

Postby Tigger1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:01 pm

I've been out of permanent employment for 2 months now - my last job was recruitment which I was good at but left because I couldn't take the back-stabbing and bitchiness. I didn't know what to do and I have never left a job without another to go to. Before that I worked for Connexions which I loved but wasn't going anywhere in which is why I left for recruitment. Anyway, since I left I have applied for about fifteen jobs that were very similar to what I did at Cnx and have been turned down for every single one. I am trying SOOO hard to remain positive and as everyone keeps saying "something will come up". But I just feel absolutely useless and low and don't actually know what I'm good at anymore or what I even want to do. I'm 29 next month and all I see is people younger than me securing really good careers and doing so well. I read in a book that it can be one of the most debilitating situations to be out of work and unable to secure new employment and I don't want to go down that road again as I've just come out of it. Can anyone shed any light or words of wisdom (that doesn't include the old chestnut of something will come up cause if I hear/read that one more time I might just scream!! ](*,) Thanks for reading and for any responses x x x x
Tigger1
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby chosenfew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:06 pm

i need a job too :( iv applied for about 30 or more and im registered with every recruitment office in my area and no one wants to know!! everyone thinkis finding a job is the easiest thing ever and they all go on at me but how the hell do they know coz they are all working. lol.
chosenfew
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby morris mouse » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm the same!!! :( :(

I left college on the 31/5/06 with my "ECDL"
"European Computer Driving Licience"

I can't find work either :-?
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Squeak » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Is there any way you could sign on to a recruitment agency (probably telling granny how to suck eggs here :roll: ) just to tide you over until you find a permanent job? I used to temp for about 3 or 4 years, and found it quite helpful. On one hand you're always the new bod, but on the other it gives you loads of experience working for different companies. You may be lucky enough to find a full time job through them too. I did - even though I hate it!!! :evil:

Good luck - I really hope your employment dry spell ends soon.
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Unemployed and desperate!!

Postby retrochav » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Dont be too hard on yourself. Two months seems an age, but i have been unemployed before for nearly a year in the past.

"something will turn up" is a load of old rubbish. "getting on your bike" as some older readers may remeber a tory employment minister advising the unemployed to do, as the jobless hit 3 million is also short sighted, and demoralising.

What i would suggest is voluntary work. The C.A.B and the Sammartians catapolted me into paid work and i never looked back. Voluntary work boosts your confidence, impresses employers and puts you in touch with people who may have connections in jobs you want. (many of the retired people you see in charity shops have sons and daughters who are managers and supervisers - and can let you know when vaccancies are comming up!). You can do up to 16 hours voluntary work and claim JSA as long as you would give notice if a job comes up, and expenses dont have to be declared to the job centre either.

Good luck, and make sure that you get the most out of the time you are out of work. There are lots of concessions to the unemployed; college courses are free, Dental treatment is free if you claim JSA, and liabries are suddenly open when you are available to use them! If you need benefit advice you can PM me.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby crazy_in_love » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:50 pm

hey I dnt know too many companies recruiting, but I have heard that office angels are good, they are a recruitment place, so maybe you could try applying to work for them, or through them either way its worth a shot. They have 20 different branches in different cities. www.office-angels.co.uk
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Anjelica » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi i read ur post...... and believe me i know it sucks when you are trying your very best to get jobs and they either dont bother with you or they reject you point blank. At one point in my life i didnt work for nearly a year and my self esteem was low but then i got a job and it was ok. Although youve only been out of work for a 2 months i cant help thinking how your coping fincancially. I mean if as in fact your applying for posts that are similar to your previous job and getting turned down maybe you should consider a temporary job doing a different thing to tide you over. And whilst at that job still keep searching for that career job. Just a thought.
Anjelica
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues