Is it for attention? *urgent*

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Is it for attention? *urgent*

Postby Brighter » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

One of my friends has been cutting themself and they still have no reason to! And I've tried giving her space but it's like she's determined to be miserable! And I think it's down to the fact our group gets called 'emo' and they want to fit into that stereotype!

What can I do?

x
My heart is yours
Brighter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby pink stripes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 pm

hi

there has to be some reason for her cutting herself - look beneath the problem. Try talking to her - ask why she does it - if it is afterall just to fit into the stereotype then tell her she shoudn't do it for that reason. She shouldn't do it at all but esepcially not just to fit in

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Brighter » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:31 pm

I've asked her and she just avoids it and says 'It's nothing!'
x
My heart is yours
Brighter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby pink stripes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Well then obviously it's something - do you much about her home life? Maybe it's something in that area?

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby millwallbird » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:49 pm

hey there just wanted to say that perhaps yr friend just does not want to speak about this and i know that u r worried about her but u cant stop sum1 self harming and if she does not want to confide in u then just remind her that u r there for her but take a step back x
millwallbird
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby lebonlover1971 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am

i used to cut myself ... it was a release for me the pain of the cutting outdid the pain of the problem there is something behind it could be a guy parents or other things if she wont stop make sure she is using clean blades and keeps the wounds clean there isnt much else u can do x
lebonlover1971
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby retrochav » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 pm

As some of the surviviors of self harm, and friends of self harmers have stated, there can be many reasons for doing this.

Lebonlover1971 has given excellant advice to prevent infection, and if self harm cant be stopped, risk of infection must be minimised.

The best advice i could suggest is to look at websites that support self harmers and carers. Maybe by talking to other sufferers and survivors your friend may be able to address the underlying issues in her life.

One thing i am confident of though - there are easy ways to get noticed than cutting, so i really cant see it as a passport to attention.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby fairy of darkness » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:42 am

My friend used to do this.

Only it was for attention because she used to think it funny to send me the photos of her slashed wrists which was awful for me.

Your friend probably needs someone to talk to, though she is refusing too, keep trying.

If not maybe speak to a brother/sister of hers if she has any?

Self harming isn't something people can always control, and its a release of anger or upset for some. Something must be bothering her, even if it is just lack of attention.

Just be there for her is all you can do.

Love

F.O.D

xxx
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Friends