How do I make new friends?

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

How do I make new friends?

Postby Brighter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Okay, so I haven't written on here in ages so I might be a bit rusty.
Anyway, in September I'll be starting college, this will be a fresh and new start for me and I want to make new friends and have a good social life, but how?
I haven't made new friends in so long I just don't remember what to do!
I get shy easily and when I am shy I don't know what to say and just end up laughing or saying 'Yeah' in response to what anyone says.
Has anyone got any tips on how to be outgoing, or how to make friends? :S
x
My heart is yours
Brighter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misskrystal » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am

On your first day, find someone who looks like they may have similar interests as you (similar clothes, carrying a magazine you read, etc) and sit next to them. Introduce yourself, ask them some questions about the course and don't be afraid to tell them that you're nervous. First days are always scary, you'll be scared and so will they.

I went for a job interview a couple of years ago and while I was there I got talking to another girl. At first we were mostly talking about the job, then about previous jobs, then education..... After the interview we went shopping and we're still friends now.

You're in the best position to make new friends. You just have to be a little brave and make the first move sometimes.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Rox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:02 am

Hi S,
Krystal is giving good practical tips and advice. Also try Googling "Overcoming shyness" for lots of interesting articles and websites full of information,suggestions and support.
And hey! September is still a long way off! Try not to get too hung up worrying about things - you'll all be new together and I am confident that there will be plenty of others feeling similar to you, so when you get there just smile, look approachable and enjoy yourself. Good luck X
Rox
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby PurePurple » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:07 am

Here's some information about shyness

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/overcoming-shyness/

And here's some tips for overcoming it :D

http://www.self-confidence.co.uk/shyness/tips.html
PurePurple
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Brighter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate the great advice :)
My heart is yours
Brighter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends