wannabe friend

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

wannabe friend

Postby lusciouslips007 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Well i've always been into rock music and although i'm not goth, i like a gothic sort of style. I've always been telling my mate to listen to linkin park and evanescence e.t.c and some of the bands i listen to, but she never really took interest. Recently she's been listening to some of my bands and it turns out she likes their music. At first i was excited coz i could finally talk to her about my tastes and all that, without her just staring at me clueless. But now its like everyday she's telling me about songs she heard last night, that practically everyone already knows about. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like she's almost stealing my personality and i'm starting to regret introducing my "world" to her. Suddenly, it's like she likes all the clothes i like, all the music i listen to, the activities i like doing. I mean, everyone has their own individual style and i don't like "following the crowd" lol. But now it's getting a bit annoying that all of a sudden my best m8 is practically turning into "me". I don't really want to talk to her about it just yet coz trust me she does have a bit of an attitude problem. So what exactly should i do? i'd really appreciate any advice...
lusciouslips007
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby The Lost Soldier » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm

ok, I dunno how much of a help this would be but i'll try

1st of all keep being yourself! make sure of that, never try to be someone you're not just because of your friend, always just keep true to yourself.

My suggestion for your friend is to introduce her to finding new things in that area herself. Since she's new to it she will only know what you've shown her. You need to tell her how to find new stuff herself, so she can go her own way and not just follow you.

How you'd go about that i'm nto sure, maybe some other guys can help you out more, but thats my opinion.

Hope it helps :-?

TLS
The Lost Soldier
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Ogadai » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:22 am

i had that sort of thing once, one of my friends started getting into everything i was into, but after a while he discovered stuff on his own, that he prefered. so now he's into all cars and stuff while i'm just into history (which i know sounds like a massive difference but he's into history of cars whereas i'm into history of europe) so maybe it's a good idea to let her discover other parts of your "world" that you're not into, if you know what i mean, let her explore and find other things that interest her.
Time. Time is an artificial construct. An arbitrary system based on the idea that events occur in a linear direction at all times. Always forward, never back. Is the concept of time correct? Is time relevant?
Ogadai
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby HappyGoLucky » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 am

Someone did that to me once and I know how annoying it is! :lol:

Okay, it's no use talking to her anyway - it didn't work for me. My friend just disagreed when I told her she was copying me too much. In time, I think your friend will develope her own style or get tired of following your style! Just try to ignore it and hope that she'll soon find her own style or follow someone else's style.

Don't change who you are to shake her off. It wouldn't work and you'd feel uncomfortable.

Take Care.
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby damrub » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 pm

on the other hand .
youve got exactly what you wanted. maybe not in the way you wanted it!!
now you have a friend who knows where your coming from who looks upto you and acts on your advice and not only agrees with your interests but is following you. so instead of being one of the croud you are leading a very small pack of two.
dont put her off ,encourage her . see it from her point of view also. no doubt she now feels closer to you than she did beforeand maybe not idolises you , but definitly looks upto you. cant be a bad thing if you can get over someone slightly stealing(borrowing sounds better) your personality till she can develope her own.
Veni, vidi, vici
damrub
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby violet » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:47 am

something like that happen to me once :)

well... first dont change yourself... give her sometime time so she can change to something she is more too.. dont let her take your personality.. give her sometime it will work out ^^ good luck

cheers~
violet
violet
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Friends