My mums friend

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My mums friend

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:21 pm

My mum has a friend - his wife died about 10 years ago, my mum has been friends with this man for about 10 years, hes such a lovely man - hes about 60? or maybe older my mum is 50ish. He takes her out for lunches, gives her lifts to work as he works with her sometimes or heads the same way the same time. he comes roound for coffees every fridays an brings fruit an other stuf for us. hes lovely.

Well anyway - my mum went out for a coffee with this other guy of her friends (btw my mum is married to my dad) an when she got back this 10year friend got all jealous an had a go at my mum on the phone - why are you going for a drink with him? an got moody. nowwwwwwww i have no idea if he is scared an feels slightly threatend he might loose my mum as a close friend... or jealous in a kind of erm, love jealously????/ im worried now. not coz my mum would do anything but coz he is such a lovely guy i dont know if he has really got attached to my mum. He really doesnt have anyone - mum is al he has. he has a daughter but she doesnt come up often an he has a few other mates but not really many.

What do you guys think?

xxxx
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:32 pm

Well, this is clearly jealousy and insecurity, but only the man himself could say whether it's sexual jealousy or just friendly jealousy.

It's possible that he's sexually attracted to your mum, he can accept she has a husband who was there before him, but can't accept her interest in any new man. It's equally possible that he just relies on her as a friend and is worried by her having another friend. Personally I think it's more likely to be friendly jealousy, because you mum is so important in his life.

But I don't think I'd worry about it too much, Sara: all these people are older than you and certainly old enough to be capable of taking responsibility for their own feelings.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pink stripes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:34 pm

this friend of your mum's is probably lonely

he lost his wife and doesn't really see his daughter, your mum might be the only close friend he has, or the nearest thing to a ''family'' therefore his is sacred that her other friend wil take her away from him and he'll be left completely on his own

he probably just wants some company

i wouldn't worry about it
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:53 am

I agree with both of the above posts here.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:08 pm

Yea i suppose - thanks for your replies :D x
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends