Fallen for a good friend and then been rejected.

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Fallen for a good friend and then been rejected.

Postby punkneil » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I've known my female friend for about 3 years although for most of that time she was living with her boyfriend 30 miles away so we drifted apart until a couple of months back when she unexpectedly texted me to say she had split up with her boyfriend, was moving back the next day and if i wanted to catch up at the weekend. Naturally i said yes and, to cut a long story short, we've been spending the last couple of months in each others company every weekend, partying, having a great time and generally getting on like a house on fire. Over the weeks though i've found myself falling for her in a big way even though she's stressed that she doesn't want a relationship with anyone at the moment having just came out of a big relationship. Still, i found myself getting wound up every time we were out and other lads chatted to her then last weekend, when very drunk, i got a mutual friend to have a word with her about me while i wasn't around. As i predicted, she wasn't interested and, to make matters worse, she seems to be putting some distance between us as shes made excuses not to see us for the next couple of weekends. I feel like such an idiot, i've probably lost a close friend. How can i get things back to how they were?
punkneil
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Fallen for a good friend and then been rejected.

Postby highlandcow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Ah, that sucks Neil, sorry to hear it. :(

It's clearly too soon for her. She's probably not freaking out about you per se, but more just about the idea of being with anyone right now.
I'd back off a bit, give her some space. She values you as a friend and maybe one day it'll be more than that.

Stay in contact, be pals, and try and get on with your life. Don't hang on forever for her, if it's meant to happen, then it will.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Fallen for a good friend and then been rejected.

Postby punkneil » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:44 am

Me original plan was to keep me mouth shut for a few months anyway. Maybe things will pan out well in the long term anyway, be gutted to lose her in the long term like.
punkneil
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Friends