Annoying "spending" types of friends

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Annoying "spending" types of friends

Postby Poor Leno » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm not sure how to deal with them. They annoy me so much. They're the kind of person who spends loads of money on stuff they don't use/barely ever use. They're also the kind of person who rates clothing and different gadgets on price tag, the higher the price CLEARLY that means it HAS to be better. I can't stand them. It's annoying though because they are nice people and we get along really well apart from these annoying tendencies. It's like they can never be satisfied with what they have. Maybe it's just the way I've been brought up but I cherish a lot of things I have, my parents giving me money to live on whilst at uni, a laptop, a phone, food, shelter etc. But they probably just take it for granted and whine about not having the nicest clothes or a next-gen console or something like that. I can't stand it and it's not like I can just slap them in the face and tell them to wake up because they'll just get angry and tell me to stop judging them.
Poor Leno
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Annoying "spending" types of friends

Postby peecee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi, Poor Leno! Welcome to PP. :D

You clearly feel strongly about your friends' attitude towards money and possessions - but has something specific caused you to post about it now? What's happened?
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Annoying "spending" types of friends

Postby reckoner » Thu May 01, 2014 11:55 am

The habit that winds me up the most is scrolling on phones during a conversation. It's not considered okay to suddenly turn on the telly or the radio when someone's talking to you, so why is it somehow okay to flip through your messages? One person starts doing it, and suddenly everyone's doing it. I was out the other night and they're all constantly checking or tapping away at their bleeding phone. We mentioned how hot it was in the pub, I get home and see that one of them has tweeted about how hot it was. Snakes alive!!! My vein has started throbbing as I type.

The problem is that very few of us are lucky enough to be perfect, but even that doesn't entitle us to dictate to others how to live or what to believe or how to spend their money. We can only lead by example and be grateful for having been brought up properly with good manners, to appreciate how lucky we are, to not get sucked in by the endless adverts and lifestyle guides persuading us to go out and buy stuff we don't need, or whatever.

Enjoy the good things about your friends and bring out the best they have to offer. If they start banging on about the latest, fanciest, most expensive gadget they've bought, you have my personal permission to ignore them and check your phone. :D
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends