Worrying friend

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Worrying friend

Postby Artemisowl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 pm

we are both adults, she is 23 and I am 22. she has recently gone through a period of really bad depression and has kind of come out of it engaged to a guy she's never personally met, she knows him only via the internet and I'm really worried about her! she said this guy helped her out of her depression and that she really loves him, yet he's alot of things she hates! he's manipulative and controling and very jealous and possessive! all things she has left guys because of before! however this isn't my biggest worry! she is still in a very fragile state of mind, I know this! However she is planning and has booked tickets to go see this man in america! she is planning to go see him for a month where she will meet him in Texas, and because this guy is a lorry driver she will be living in his truck for a month and they will be traveling all over the US... or so the plan is! I don't really know the guy, but neither does she, she only knows what he's like online and when he's using her facebook! I just don't know what to do! do I go to her parents or is that childish? do I try and talk sense to her? how would I do that without really upsetting her and pushing her to him? I know the problem sounds really childish and I may, be over reacting, I'm just really worried about her and I want her to live to see 24 not end up dead in a grave on a texas highway!

sincerly
Artemis.
Artemisowl
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Worrying friend

Postby David020549 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:15 pm

This is a worry no doubt but she has bought the ticket and will probably go ahead whatever anyone says, so all you can do is make sure that she has a "Plan B" if (when) it all goes wrong. Touring the U.S. by bus is a good choice for as long as she wants staying in youth hostels, she will need access to enough cash to do this and will meet other backpackers doing that, help her with planning that.
I don't think she will be at any more risk than meeting a stranger in the UK, truckers in general are a pretty decent responsible bunch but touring the U.S. living in the cab of a truck is not very romantic despite what the movies portray, nor are the road houses that truckers stop for meals and overnight, she will probably be fed up after a few days. However the yanks are very friendly and helpful, the women that she does meet will be concerned and will ask "you sure you're OK honey", those women will know how to handle truckers.
if she does not go ahead the depression will likely get worse, the experience of the trip may be just what she needs and you never know he may be her soulmate, stranger things have happened
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends