what to do about this friend

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

what to do about this friend

Postby smelly_emily » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:21 pm

so, I am wondering what to do about this friend of mine, rachel.

on the surface, she seems a smart, inteligent woman who has a lot to offer- her problem comes however when it comes to demanding things from others.

this is her on a daily bases:

" hey em?. do you have any cola?" (she loves cola)

most of the time I'll tell her something like " well rach, the cola I do have is for me. I'm sorry", but their have been times when I've had a coke and offered her a glass.

the problem is, that's what she's basing the friendship off. the fact I can give her cans of cola- and I've told her, their's more to friendship than just demanding coe, she'll apologize for it, then tell everyone else we're not friends anymore

next day she'll come up to me and hug me and ask if we can be friends and I'm like yeah, okay, cool, and she'll ask for a coke again.

I know the simple answer: just lose her as a friend, but I don't want to do that.

I don't really know what to do about her

emily
smelly_emily
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: what to do about this friend

Postby boulding » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Emily

No need to lose a friend just remove the trigger that sets off this annoying behaviour. She has got a firm association in her mind between you and the thing she likes, coca cola. Stop buying cola and carry a water bottle of ordinary tap water. When she asks just say. "I'm into water now. It's much healthier. Would you like some.". If you can stick to this for a few weeks I think you will find her scrounging behaviour will stop.
boulding
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Friends