Is this peer pressure?

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Is this peer pressure?

Postby 100%Babe » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:31 pm

Hiya, ok well at my school i have a group of friends theres mainly about 6 of us, and a few months ago about 4 of them started smoking and me and my best friend of the group didnt smoke at all but then my best friend started taking puff's of my other friends, she promised me she would never have her own packet and buy her own, but the past few months she has, and i know for sure its down to peer pressure, she doesnt look right atal when she smokes she looks like she has to and that she ahs no option, i dont say anything as she is my best friend, Now all 5 of them smoke apart from me, and they are not little smokers they are addicted and it has affected everything, When they go out they never invite me i think because i dont smoke and im always the one not smoking, it really is affecting me as i feel really left out, i hate the look of a cigarette and the smell its discusting but i feel that because i dont smoke im loosin my best friend and my close friends, i really dont no what to do, i NEVER wanna smoke but i feel that im gonna loose my friends? i dont no what to do, my other friend understands me but me and her are the only ones now, her friends smoke to, i feel like this is peer pressure as i dont want to be alone, it seems smoking is the only thing they talk about nowadayz, and thats the one thing i dont have in common with my best friend. She never talks to me now as in telling me stuff, its like ive sliped her mind, I love her to bits but its affecting our relationship Help pleasexxxxxx
100%Babe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Steve a » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:09 am

Hi,
Its good that you dont want to smoke, smoking is a drug. I honestly dont believe these are real friends if they can blow you off just because you dont smoke. Maybe you should stick with your friend who understands. You dont need loads of friends, and if they can blow you off like that just for that reason i wouldnt consider them a friend.
Also is there any chance of getting your mate on their own and explaining to them about what they are doing, saying you dont want to lose their friendship etc.
Good luck
Steve a
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Im scared

Postby 100%Babe » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:49 am

Well the thing is im scared she will react and just go and backchat me to the other lot and she is close with one of them, life as a teen is hard, i dont wanna loose my friends let alone my best friend, she used to understand until she became a smoker too, full time buying a packet aswell. packets.
100%Babe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:55 pm

Hey,

Just talk to your friends and explain that you feel they are leaving you out and that you have no intention of smoking at all. Don't let them push you into doing it because you'll regrete it. Be proud not to smoke, I never touched a cig and i'm proud.

If your friends don't listen to you, just go and find new friends. New friends aren't always hard to find. It is hard to let some people go, but if you just think about how they have treated you and how hard you have fort to keep the friendship, are they worth it? Remember, equal effort is a must for any relationship, whether it be with friends or a partner.

So all you can do is talk to them, make them understand how you feel (possibly make them see how silly they are being too?) and if that fails, confide in new friends.

Best of luck

Ashley
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Friends