What does this mean?

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Fobbed off?

She was given the brush off.
75%
She was not given the brush off.
25%

Total votes : 4

What does this mean?

Postby Im_in_Chains » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:14 pm

I was window shopping in town many months ago and I overheard a conversation between two young women who'd clearly not seen each other in a short while.

After the initial, "Hi, how are you?" etc. One woman asked the other if she'd like to go out for a drink that Friday. The other woman replied that she'd already had plans. Not to be deterred by this, the first woman said, "Ok, how about X, Y or Z?" and she gave a few dates that was rougly in two weeks time. This was all sounding very familiar to me. It's happened to me a few times. She'd given her friend a few dates that were not too close in time for her to have already made plans but not too far away that they could have been forgotten. She second woman responsed, "I'm not sure that I can. I don't know what my plans are yet." The first woman simply replied, "Oh, ok then. Well ring me if you're free." She sounded disappointed. Then they bade each other farewell and went on their way.

I wondered if it's simply a careless use of language on the part of the second woman or if she was fobbing her friend off? I mean, surely, if a person doesn't know what their plans are in two weeks time then that must mean they haven't made any so therefore, that date is free. So, in effect, that second woman COULD have gone out for a drink with her friend.

What does everyone else think on this?

Has anyone responded to you in this way when you've suggested some time together? If so, how have you interpreted it?

Have you responded to anyone in this way? If so, what exactly do you mean by it?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
Im_in_Chains
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Steve a » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:36 pm

Hi,
I think this bascially means the second women see's the first one as just some one to say hello to and not some one that she could generally go out socially with. There could be many reasons for this, ie she feels awakrd as they aint seen each other for a while, feel as through they have not got enough in common or it could be some other reason.
Steve a
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Brush off

Postby Cat Q » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:31 pm

I have a similar prob at the mo.
People from work Inviting themselves over to visit my flat!
Must admit , Im not really a Party animal, but I do enjoy going out occasionally.
But the nerve of some people asking themselves over!? :o
I don`t feel ready to ask people over yet, So I find myself politely trying to make them forget, or arrange silly days Im not sure id keep. :)

I said i`d ring my friend from work to visit this Saturday, But in reality, I just don`t want to get TOO friendly with work mates.

Yes, I think this is possibly a brush off, but maybe she`s just unsure what her plans are, or her partners for that matter!
Cat Q
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Friends