Email Address Misuse

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Am I right to be angry?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 9

Email Address Misuse

Postby Rabbie » Tue May 04, 2004 6:45 pm

Who's right?
Would appreciate opinions.

I am a member of a small internet community forum and like to have fun with the other members by remaining fairly mysterious and not giving much away about myself. When another member on the forum asked for help about a matter on the boards, I emailed them with some help. So they obtained my email address which had my true name on it.
They have just posted a topic the other day on the forum poking some harmless fun at me which I have now found out they obtained by Googling my name and coming across a property website where I have a picture of my wife and I. The post refers to something in the picture.
I regard that as a breach of trust. I gave the person my email address purely to help them, and feel it has been abused by them using it to find out information and then making a post. The content of the post is not the issue in my mind, as I said it is harmless fun, and whether people ever saw the website is not the issue either. It is more the fact that I feel my trust has been misplaced by the person using my email address to go on to post in a place where other people will read. This person isn't really a friend, just another member.
Am I right to be angry?
Rabbie
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Enigma » Tue May 04, 2004 7:09 pm

I think you're angry at yourself more than anything, because you've slipped-up on protecting your privacy. For me, I decided there was little point trying to be anonymous and I accept that Web users will be able to find things about be through search engines.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Tue May 04, 2004 10:55 pm

I think it's okay to be angry as you obvious find this a really rude thing to do, but I wouldn't get too worried over it. To me it does seem quite childish that they did this, but it was probably just a harmless joke and they probably didn't realise that you actually cared so much about your privacy and Anonymity.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bubble » Tue May 04, 2004 11:34 pm

Every right to be angry, however i'm sure a lesson has been learnt through this now. Best bet is to change your email address now.
Last edited by Bubble on Wed May 05, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby depman » Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm

Yes you have every right to be angry
I sell on ebay and you wouldnt believe the amount of idiots I get on there
Most are from the states funny enough
I give as good as I get on ebay believe me
I am extremely nice to people on there but you always get one
I cant understand why some people are like this like you have said already
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed May 05, 2004 12:33 am

eBay is such a security risk with there being a disclosure of your delivery address.

Rabbie, search engines have removal policies. You could contact them requesting certain Web pages be purged from their Web indexes.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Wed May 05, 2004 10:41 am

Whats wrong with using the yellow paper. My mother, who is gullable and too trusting, has let a number of idiots screw her over on e-bay and I have told her to use the local ad paper or not sell at all. Is there not somewhere you can report this misuse to?
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Wed May 05, 2004 1:34 pm

Fidel, I can't check the page at work as eBay is blocked, but I think the relevant page would be [http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/report_problem.html].
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Friends