Bulimia?

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Bulimia?

Postby Caramia » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:55 pm

A close friend of mine has just told me that he's bulimic, but he's not trying to make himself sick, he's just randomly throwing up for no apparant reason. He says it's been like that for about 2 weeks now and he won't go and see a doctor. His Mum doesn't know and I think he's really stressed because his Mum and step dad have been arguing a lot and threatening divorce. I know that I shouldn't pressurize him into seeing a doctor because it's extra stress, but I can't be there for him at the moment becaue I have problems of my own.
Is there anything you can suggest? When I've seen him, he looks fine. My Mum says that he could be trying to manipulate me because he's tried to do that before. But I don't want to risk him making himself worse by ignoring it.
Thanks.
Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby BlueRayman » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:37 am

Hi,

What do you mean by "manipulate"? At the end of the day all you can to is tell him he needs to go to the docs and that you'll go with him if he wants and keep an eye on him, you'll be able to tell if hes becoming really ill from it...

He'll become really pale and appear "drained" and over along time his eeth and gums will start looking bad...

He said hes not making himself sick which is a good thing, even if its stress atleast hes not doing it to himself...

Good luck and I hope hes not playing games with you.
---Ray
It takes more than a bullet to stop fate.
BlueRayman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Irish Rose » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:24 pm

Ask him to have a chat with someone who was bulimic....

I mean, my teeth are well and truly crumbling now... and there's no reversing it.

If he is insisting that he isn't making himself sick, then chances are that it's a medical problem and not mental.

It could be stress - i know that when i'm stressed it makes me feel sick, and like i want to tear my hair out...
"And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To Ireland where my heart lies."
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Caramia » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:53 am

Well, I've seen him a number of times last week eating chips and plenty of food. He seemed fine and I had confided in one of his friends who's a close mate of mine. He said that he seemed fine and there was no sign of bulimia or vomiting.

Now my close friend who says he's been throwing up won't talk to me. He's been acting really strange. I've not been telling loads of people except my close friends of which there are 2. Me and him have had a lot of emotional history, and before I met my current boyfriend, if he had told me this then I would have dropped anything I was doing and would have come running to him. Now I cannot deal with this myself because I am currently dealing with depression.

Right now is a fairly stressful time for us students because we've got retakes and stuff. He's also having some trouble at home and I am prepared to sit and let him talk it out... but I'm not as readily available as I used to be. He's changed a lot since we used to be close and I can't deal with this new person he's become to be.

He still won't see a doctor, but has gagged in my presance whilst he was eating... it didn't look fake, but then I wouldn't know. But he refused to speak to me once he had gagged and almost thrown up. He's acting very strange. I don't know if this is because he's wanting to hide this problem, or if it's because he doesn't like the fact that I won't drop everything for him now and come running... That's not meant to sound all big headed or anything... lol
Caramia
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Friends