Borrowing Clothes

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Borrowing Clothes

Postby buffy28 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:11 pm

hi everyone... i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this...
i recently bought a new shirt and i've not worn it yet... it was hanging in my lounge and my friend who knows i've not worn it yet asked if she could borrow it for this weekend, i was put on the spot and said a tentative yes but i've had a rethink.
I would have given the shirt no problem if i had already had a wear of it first... i don't have anything planned yet for this weekend (valentines)... but and i don't want to lend it out and then something comes up.
she then emailed me today and asked again if it's okay to have the shirt but when i told her no and my reasons why she was not amused and said to me 'that's noted... and has now completely fallen out with me.

i'm just wondering if you think it's acceptable to ask to borrow something from someone that they haven't worn yet... i think it's a total cheek and i certainly wouldn't ask this of my friends.

thanks for any input...
buffy28
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby arwen » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:02 pm

How frustrating!
Honey, it's YOUR shirt, YOU paid for it and it's up to YOU whether you let someone borrow it.
It's brand new and you were planning on wearing it yourself - you are entitled to say no!!
Your friend has no right to make you feel bad or not talk to you - that's utterly childish. If she wants the shirt so badly she should go out and buy her own!
Tell her to grow up!
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby matchbox 20 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:56 pm

i don't let my friends borrow my clothes full stop. She probably feels silly now and that is why she is throwing a tantrum, don't worry about it chuck :)
change everything you are
matchbox 20
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dizzy_days » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:01 pm

matchbox 20 wrote:i don't let my friends borrow my clothes full stop.

Same Here!

My mum always told me not to lend any clothing out ''they never come back to you the same as when you lent them out'' (mums wise words)

And from what i have learnt she was right!!
*Play*
dizzy_days
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:49 pm

I never used to mind lending clothes to friends but my sister always used and abused them. Now i dont lend anything to anyone!
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Moose » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:04 pm

An annoying and difficult situation. She shouldn't have asked to borrow it when she knew you hadn't yet worn it yourself - it would have been second hand by the time you got to wear it yourself!

She should have just said it was fine when you said no, and gone and bought her own shirt. If I were you, I would wait for her to come to you. Don't let her make you feel bad for standing up for yourself.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby BlueRayman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:55 pm

I think its down to the situation. I lend stuff to some of my friends that i've never worn and they lend me stuff. I think the best way to look aat it is if you don't want to, don't do it. - Same as anything else, your friend shouldn't stop talknig to you just because you changed your mind about your new shirt after all its your shirt.

---Ray
It takes more than a bullet to stop fate.
BlueRayman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby all_apologies » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Your friend's got a cheek for falling out with you when it is your shirt in the first place. Don't feel bad, you're quite entitled to want to be the first to wear it.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Friends