friend borrowing money

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

friend borrowing money

Postby SugarRainbows » Sun May 01, 2005 11:44 am

hi this is sugarrainbows bf posting :P

my friend keeps borrowing money off me and never pays me back, but i feel bad telling him he cant borrow more so i keep letting him
SugarRainbows
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby all_apologies » Sun May 01, 2005 12:04 pm

Just say you don't have money to give him or you can't afford it. He can't persuade you to give him money you don't have.

Also, keep reminding him about the money he's owe you, along the lines of "oh, have you got that £20, there's a _____ I want to buy but I don't have any cash".

It's difficult to get around, but at the end of the day he's at fault and shouldn't be using you like this.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Sun May 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Hm. Tell him you're a bit short at the moment, and you were actually hoping that he could pay you back the last lot he borrowed from you.

You say you feel bad if you tell him he can't "borrow" (have!) money from you, but do your other friends lend him money? Or does he keep coming to you because he knows he can get away with it :-? ?

I would also check out this thread

wrote this at the same time as all_apologies! :P
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Something_totally_Wrong » Sun May 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Remember it's YOUR money! You've earned it, not him. If he wants money he should earn it himself. What does he spend it on? Surely it isn't all that life essential. It's nice to lend out money every so often, but when it's all of the time it just gets tiresome.
Tell him you don't have the money to give him, then remind him about all of the money he owes you. Obviously you shouldn't ask for it all up right, but you should point out to him that you need the money aswell, and it would be really nice if he could start to pay you back!!!
Hello I'm MUNCH and you are?
Something_totally_Wrong
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby JennaXXX » Tue May 03, 2005 8:59 am

I disagree. Its your money and you need it back.
Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself and ask for it back. It was only ever meant to be a loan and he should know that.
Dont let him borrow anymore money unless it is really urgent, It doesn't seem like hes the reliable type.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby brfc » Thu May 05, 2005 3:49 pm

dont lend him anymore tell him too see your mates barclay and loyds for a cash handout. tell him this bank is shut till you see some of it back
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby arwen » Thu May 05, 2005 4:58 pm

If he asks again just look surprised and say, "mate, you already owe me £x" so that he knows you're not a cashpoint.

Then you can follow it up with "speaking of which, I need that back before Friday, when can I nip over and pick it up?"

That's not being rude and you've been a good mate, so don't be a doormat otherwise people will ALWAYS walk over you.
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Borrowing Money

Postby morris mouse » Thu May 12, 2005 6:17 am

Arwen
That's not being rude and you've been a good mate, so don't be a doormat otherwise people will ALWAYS walk over you.

As Arwan has said, you're not being rude by asking for the money back
I can appreciate that this situation DOES put a strain on the friendship
Stand up for yourself,on this one,and don't be a DOORMAT!!!
If you don't, people will ALWAYS walk over you.

Trust this will be of help to you
Morris Mouse
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dizzy_days » Thu May 12, 2005 10:48 am

Something_totally_Wrong wrote:Remember it's YOUR money! You've earned it, not him. If he wants money he should earn it himself. What does he spend it on? Surely it isn't all that life essential. It's nice to lend out money every so often, but when it's all of the time it just gets tiresome.
Tell him you don't have the money to give him, then remind him about all of the money he owes you. Obviously you shouldn't ask for it all up right, but you should point out to him that you need the money aswell, and it would be really nice if he could start to pay you back!!!

=D> =D> =D> fair but firm =D> =D> =D>
*Play*
dizzy_days
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Friends