Unspoken past

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

Unspoken past

Postby poppylp » Sun May 20, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm not sure exactly where to start or how to put it into words, except to say that there's just a general uneasy feeling in my family.
I have a very patchy memory of my childhood except for what I've been told by my family and a lot of things that I do remember are disputed by one or both of my parents. My brother and sister will agree with me that certain incidents occured but my parents will deny it (to our faces), it's all very confusing.
Both my sister and brother have moved abroad and don't make much of an effort to keep in regular contact. I'm not particularly close to my brother or sister and my sister seems to be jealous of my relationship with our mother and criticises a lot of things about me whenever we do meet up.
To be honest, I don't know what to do. I don't remember much about my past - even certain parts of my teenage years are a bit hazy and I have noone who can confirm or deny anything that happened.
I get an uneasy feeling around my father sometimes as well which is also strange. Sometimes I feel someone watching me and I turn aroud and he's staring at me and when I catch him he turns away looking uncomfortable.
It's all just really confusing and I don't know what to do.
poppylp
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby hanwap » Thu May 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're hinting at things but not really coming out and saying it. If things have happened do you have any idea at all what it might be? If things haven't happened and you're picking up on vibes that maybe aren't really there, it makes sense that your dad would look away when you look at him as he probably knows you're being suspicious of him and the rest of the family. It's normal in my opinion anyway for families to not always get on, there could be a number of reasons as to why your brother and sister don't keep in touch. Try and think about why you feel this way, is it just because you dont' remember much about your past? (This too is normal, I don't remember much about my childhood or teens unless I see a photograph that sparks a memory I didn't even know I had) or is it something else? Could you talk to your brother or sister maybe?
hanwap
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby poppylp » Sun May 27, 2007 10:28 am

Thanks for your reply, I think you may be a right and I'm actually being a bit paranoid and over-analysing things. The most annoying part is not being able to remember my childhood and teenage years properlyor being told that the things that I'm remembering never happened, which is really frustrating, but from the sounds of it is actually quite normal.
It would be a good idea to talk to my brother and sister and maybe have them confirm or deny the things I do remember so I know I'm not imagining things.
poppylp
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Parents